Sunday, August 05, 2007

Do Not Be Affected Easily

Today has been a long day. I have been out since morning as I needed to be at the National Day Parade (NDP) briefing. After that I needed to inspect some areas. In the afternoon, I headed to Sentosa Siloso Beach to meet some siblings-in-Christ for a game of volleyball and frisbee. I did not play much as I was quite tired but I had a good time of fellowship with them. We also had dinner and dessert together.

Two things happened which taught me a lesson. It has got to do with people who sometimes get on our nerves - either they spoke bad things behind our backs or they just simply did not follow the instructions given and fouled up in the process.

Both I encountered today - the former happened to a sister-in-Christ and the latter was experienced by me. I shall not go into details but the one thing I was taught is - do not let people and circumstances affect us which in turn make us judge others and sin against God by entertaining thoughts which are unacceptable to Him.

By saying this, I do not mean that we let the matter rest and not deal with it if there is a need to but when it happens, do not let anger cause us to sin. It is tough because our natural human instinct is to react but I was reminded to practise self-control and patience.

I hope I am not being vague here but really, it is pointless to let people or circumstances spoil our day when there are so many other happy and pleasant things for us to enjoy and give thanks to the Lord for. Correction - we should also give thanks for the bad and unpleasant things as well and move on from there. If we continue to dwell upon it, we are actually allowing the evil one to lay a foothold. We should be careful at all times, to be watchful, not to fall into his traps.

I think I over-ate - must watch my food intake as I am putting on weight due to the lack of exercise.

Well, I am sleepy. Time to go to bed. Another long day awaits. :)

"Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil." Psalm 37:7-8

No comments: