Saturday, August 18, 2007

Be A Lion-Slayer!

I am now in The Coffee Conniosseur along Boat Quay. I am meeting the running gang later for dinner after their run and also to watch the last episode of the Fireworks Festival along Marina Bay. I missed the first yesterday as I was at the Worship Team rehearsal. I heard from friends who went that it was good! Sigh. Anyway, I am thankful I can watch today's.

I attended the Leaders' Retreat from 9am to around 3pm. It was a good session as we evaluated what the church did for the past one year - giving thanks to God for the many things that went well and seeking His forgiveness for those that we fumbled. We also discussed a little of what the church is to do next year.

I like the devotion that my Senior Pastor gave at the beginning of the session. She urged the leaders not to let the past mistakes that the church did and the conflicts that we had with one another to haunt and stifle what we are to do for the future. Instead she encouraged us to move on and let God lead us accordingly from where we left off.

She also spurred the leaders to not let difficulties faced in ministries to discourage us but instead to be ready to face the odds. This then will allow us to trust in God totally as we know we will not be able to deal with them in our own strength and understanding. She parallelled the odds we sometimes encounter as that of a lion suddenly pouncing onto our path. The natural reaction is for us to run away. Instead she told us to be a lion-chaser. To run after the lion and kill it. She challenged the leaders to be revolutionaries and not reaction-aries. She shared at the end a manifesto which I failed to note down in my PDA. I have requested for her powerpoint file. When I get it, I will share them in the next blog. Below is the Bible reference that my pastor used to illustrate her points.

Well, I left the retreat refreshed unlike previous years when I was more disheartened than encouraged. It has also excited me to consider ways to steer the Missions ministry since next year's theme is on "Outreach - His Commission." Of course I need the Lord to help me.

I am also looking forward to tomorrow's worship session at the 11:15am service. May the church have a wonderful time worshipping the Lord and may God be pleased with it. :)

Thanks be to God for today!

"Benaiah son of Jehoiada was a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, who performed great exploits. He struck down two of Moab's best men. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion. And he struck down a huge Egyptian. Although the Egyptian had a spear in his hand, Benaiah went against him with a club. He snatched the spear from the Egyptian's hand and killed him with his own spear. Such were the exploits of Benaiah son of Jehoiada; he too was as famous as the three mighty men. He was held in greater honor than any of the Thirty, but he was not included among the Three. And David put him in charge of his bodyguard." 2 Samuel 23:20-23

No comments: