Saturday, August 11, 2007

Zero Has Value

Have you ever had your teacher calling you "stupid"? Have you ever got your parents calling you "good-for-nothing"? Have you ever heard your friends calling you "lousy"? Have you felt yourself being the lowliest of the lowlies; that you are flawed; that you are a mistake caused by your parents or for that matter, God?

I felt the above-mentioned many times in my growing up years especially when I faced failures or when I could not reach certain expectations set by my parents or when I had made some major mistakes or when I was lagging behind or when I compared myself with others who are doing far better than me or when I faced rejections of any kind (be it in my work proposals, ministry ideas, relationships, etc). Even now I still feel that I am not good enough occasionally.

This afternoon God opened my eyes to His impression of me. I was with the Youth Ministry Mentors (YMMs) for their monthly get-together where they come for a time of worship, sharing about their walk with God lately and updating one another of the upcoming events for the ministry and also praying for and with one another.

After a time of praise, we were shown a video clip called "Full Flame" by Reinhard Bonnke where he shared to a group of Brazilians how God chooses and uses people for His ministry. He brought to light the 12 disciples that He chose - if you look at them individually you will realise that they were people of no or little significance. One of them was a tax-collector, some were fishermen and there was even one who was a thief.

The evangelist is not saying that God cannot use significant people for His work. He can! Brother Bonnke, who is a German and was not good in his studies (especially Mathematics), wants every individual to know that no one is useless, good-for-nothing, flawed or a mistake in the eyes of God. When he was young he was called a "zero". In Germany, that basically means he is no good!

Reinhard Bonnke evangelises mainly in Africa - he was called by God to go to this land when he was a mere 10-year old boy. Can you imagine that? He has touched millions of lives in his ministry, brought many of them to Christ and still making a difference in people's lives till date.

Brother Bonnke wants all of us to know that when we as "zeroes" stand with the ONE who created all things, there is value to that digit and that we can make an impact everywhere we go and with whatever capabilities we have.

When one "zero" is being used by the ONE, 10 lives can be touched; when two "zeroes" are being used, 100 lives will be blest; when three "zeroes" are called forth, 1000 lives will be transformed; and the figures go on and on and on and eventually millions will be saved. Can we see now how significant we can be? If the 12 disciples Jesus chose can minister to the multitudes, so can we!

After the get-together, I headed for town to Borders to collect some books I ordered. Before going to the bookstore, I had to alight at Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station. I decided to detour to Fort Canning Park to spend some time with God and to speak with Him about the lesson I learnt from the video. It basically affirmed in me that I am a somebody and that God can use me to bless anybody if I am willing to. I made a commitment to the Lord that from now onwards, I will avail myself anytime, anywhere to bless anyone He wants me to. May He equip me accordingly. May many be blest through me though I know I will fail at times. May His name be glorified in all that I do.

I am still tired physically but amazingly what I experienced above has refreshed me completely. Truly, the Lord is good. Thanks be to Him!

For those reading this blog, your zero has value. Find what your strengths and giftings are - every one has at least one - use it to the fullest.

Well, the football season commences today. I am looking forward to watching the Liverpool-Aston Villa match later at 12:15am. I will share more on this football issue in my next blog.

Here's wishing all of you a blessed and restful weekend!

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength. Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:18-31

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in — behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. If only you would slay the wicked, O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men! They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name. Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD, and abhor those who rise up against you? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139

No comments: