Friday, August 10, 2007

Do Not Take Things For Granted

I just had a nice cool bath. Returned home not too long ago. It has been a long day and night yesterday. Finally it is almost over as in my involvement with this year's National Day Parade (NDP). I need to do more clearing up later in the morning. I hope to get them over and done with by noon.

All went pretty well at the parade. All had fun. I had to carry out my duties and walking was a must. It did not help that both my knees have been painful and weak. A couple of times they felt like they were going to snap and I am not kidding when I said that. Anyway, praise God for having sustained me.

I had a couple of good and bad encounters throughout. I shall not name the bad ones. No point as we are all humans. I basically had to deal with a few very impatient and unreasonable people but all turned out fine in the end. I had fun with some kids who enjoyed ravaging through their goodie-bags. Some complained they did not have this or that item and I had to ask the Ambassadors of the Sea (students in marine creature's outfits) to obtain the items for them.

I had to help a mum babysit her three-year daughter - she needed to go to the restroom and there was no one else to look after her little one. Anyway, I did some balloon-sculpting for the cute girl - three in all. I hope the additional items did not add to the burden of the mother.

I also helped a lady in her 60s to look for her seat. After she had gone to the restroom, she could not remember where she was seated. I walked with her three times round the yellow zone but to no avail. I could tell she was anxious - got her a drink to cool down and continued searching for her family members when she was ready to move again. It was about half an hour later that she found her family. Poor lady - she was there to enjoy the parade but in the end, she had to go through the agony of locating her loved ones. Thank God all went well in the end.

Every year when the nation celebrates her birthday, I never fail to give thanks to God for this beautiful island-nation. Whenever I take taxis or when I am at the coffee shops, I do hear of people complaining about the government; about how stressful this society can be; about the high cost of living; about not having enough jobs and having a low salary; about why men need to do national service; about how this tiny red dot on the map is overcrowding.

I do not disagree with some of the above points made but looking at all these gripes, there are also many blessings which we fail to see in many occasions.

Singapore is a peaceful and prosperous country - we should be thankful for that. There are other countries who are constantly at war or facing poverties. As for government - yes, the People's Action Party has been in power for many years and yes, there is a lack of opposition parties to voice otherwise but this government has seen Singapore through the past 42 years without much of a scandal as compared to a lot of other nations where the governments are unstable, always full of differences and quarrels, officials being corrupted and all. Some citizens want opposition parties in Parliament but let us pray that regardless of who the main party is, the officials are ethical and upright.

No doubt the cost of living is rising and there is a always a competition for better jobs. Salaries may not rise as equally fast as the cost of living. All these are real concerns but if we can just sit back for a moment, should we not be thankful that at least we have a place to live in, a job we are holding and a salary we are still drawing monthly? There are many in this world who dare not dream of what tomorrow lies because today may be their last.

As for National Service - if no one takes up the role to protect this nation, who will? Employ mercenaries? Nothing beats protecting your own country. I had served my national service and I enjoyed the 2 1/2 years with the friends I got to know, the skills I learnt, the memories I cherished. There were bad memories (especially the physical and mental aspects) but still those years allowed me to see life differently - no more sheltered by my parents but going into the unknown on my own and pulling it through with God's help. If the country has given me so much, I should give back in return a portion - basically to pledge my loyalty to the nation and call Singapore my home. Whether this tiny dot is overcrowding or not, I am not too overly concerned about it so long as there is harmony among the people. This is something so delicate that it should not be taken for granted.

Well, I have said enough. I just re-read what I wrote above and it sounded as if I am a pro-government citizen. Well, I am basically stating facts and I am reminding myself to be thankful that I have a place to call my own. All these years as I was growing up, I have learnt to be contented with what I have and to give thanks for them - hence what I have written is a reflection of my gratefulness to God for all the blessings He has bestowed upon this land and me.

Thanks and glory be to God! Before I end, do pray for this nation regularly. We should not be complacent but to trust that God will continue to bless every Singaporean.

Time for me to sleep. Happy Birthday, Singapore! Good night!

"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Genesis 12:2-3

No comments: