Saturday, August 18, 2007

Be A Man Or Woman Of Your Words

Just as much as I do not want to give the devil too much credits, I also cannot deny that he is up to his no good. He is basically distracting me from my preparation for tomorrow's praise and worship session that I am leading at the 11:15am service. A few things happened and they all got to do with people whom I know.

One of them is grandma. As every one at home is away overseas (mum and dad in Vietnam and my brother in China), she kept calling me a few times to ask me to come home quickly. Reasons were: to feed my dog when she could have just taken two scoops of the pellets and place them in the bowl; to clear the pooh from the tray which she could have just left them as they were since the tray was for the purpose of containing Sasha's droppings. This is the first time she asked me to do all these and I do not know why.

My brother messaged me to say that he is extending his stay in China by another day. As I knew grandma was expecting him to be back in Singapore today, I decided to call home to inform her of my brother's extension. Then grandma became paranoid and kept calling me to ask why my brother is not coming back; whether he is alright; is there something wrong with the plane; etc. I understood her concerns - that is why the first few times when she called I was calm and explained to her about the reason and assured her that all is fine. But when the calls became too frequent, they kind of got on my nerves. Sigh.

Then I got a message from a sister-in-Christ who informed me that she could not help me with a project. I was hoping she could but failed to persuade her to do so. I was fine with this but what saddened my heart was another agreement we had which I took it as a promise from her but she kind of broke it. Then it reminded me of a few other promises that my other friends and siblings-in-Christ recently broke too. It is just so disappointing when such incidents happened especially from people whom I cherish. I always expect my friends to keep their promises just as much as I myself, as a friend to them, am trying to keep my words. This is not to boast but to illustrate that we need to be men and women of our words. Yes, I cannot deny that we do fail at times due to circumstances and all but when it is happening too frequently by the same person, then I really question the kind of friendship we have.

Anyway, maybe I hold dear to all the relationships I have with people. That is why I am feeling this way. I am learning to be gracious but sometimes I must admit that it is tough - I guess I am still training myself to be patient and more understanding.

I just reached home. I was out with the running gang for dinner and then went up to the 37th storey of Standard Chartered Building to watch the last episode of the Fireworks Festival done by a team from China. The view from where we were were spectacular. It was a waste I did not bring my camera as I was at the Leaders' Retreat. Anyway, I enjoyed viewing the pyrotechnic display.

Before I came online to write this blog, I spent some time in prayer and shared with the Lord what I wrote above. I pray I will still fix my eyes on Him as I lead tomorrow and that I will not let circumstances distract me. I do not know why but in my heart there is this feeling that I am trying to impress people with my service tomorrow than having the desire to glorify God. This is a concern for me as I do not want to let pride to come into the picture as the heart of worship is all about God - not me, the music, the words, the atmosphere, etc.

Well, I pray God will be my side as I lead. May He increase and I decrease during the time of praise and worship.

I shall try to sleep soon. For those going to church tomorrow, have a wonderful time blessing the name of Jesus and learning from His Word. Those hesitating for whatever reasons, I pray you will try to go no matter how you are feeling and let God minister to your heart as you worship Him.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!

"Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment." Proverbs 12:19

"Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD." Psalm 150:6

No comments: