Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Give Ourselves Another Chance

I was on my way to Tampines MRT Station in the evening to get a lift from a dear brother-in-Christ to a dinner appointment with 6 other brothers-in-Christ near Changi. When I was in City Hall MRT Station, there was an announcement about a train disruption between Tampines and Pasir Ris MRT Stations. I thought a train had broken down.

When I alighted at Tampines, I saw a lot of police officers and the train line on the opposite track was closed. When I got out of the station, I asked one of the officers what had happened and he told me someone had fallen onto the track. It was not certain then whether he or she accidentally or purposely fell off the platform. The body was apparently still under the train.

While waiting for my brother to come by, I was near a police van. I did not know that it would be the van which would be transporting the body to the mortuary. I saw the undertakers carrying the body in a bag. It saddened my heart when I witnessed the whole incident.

This is not the first time that an individual had fallen onto a train track. Many of these were due to suicide attempts. I sure hope this evening's incident was not one of them.

There are a lot of sufferings in this world we live in - people who are broken-hearted; who have lost their jobs; who are facing financial difficulties; who find no meaning in life anymore; who are suffering from a sense of guilt for something they had done in the past and feel that their deeds are unforgiveable; who have low self-esteem; who are oppressed spiritually; who have failed dreams/ambitions. Of course there are many other reasons but these are a few I can name for now.

I know it is not easy to face all these problems and burdens. If anyone reading this blog is going through a tough time, please do not fight life's battles alone. Talk to someone about it.

I, for one, had thoughts of ending my life a couple of times when I faced many failures and disappointments in the past. I guess I did not do it simply because there were people around whom I can talk to; people who were there for me. It did make my burdens lighter when I talked to someone about them. It also shifted my attention from one of hopelessness to a light at the end of the tunnel. Slowly the thought of death now shifts to the thought of pressing on and giving myself a second chance.

I also have my God to remind me that He is always there when I need Him. Till date, He has not failed me though sometimes I wonder why He takes so long to help me in some of my struggles. I guess the verse in the Bible that says, "He makes all things beautiful in His time" reminded me that He is still helping me but not based on my timing but His. Though I had to wait, it was all worth the while as He still met my needs.

To any of you out there who are thinking of committing suicide, please give yourself another chance even if you had given yourself many chances already. Please talk to someone - a family member, a friend, a colleague, a counsellor, a teacher, a pastor, a police officer, a passer-by. I am a Christian - if you see a church, go in there and speak to one of the workers. If you want, say a word of prayer (even though you may not be a Christian) - "Jesus Christ, help me in my time of needs. I am at my wit's end. Come to my aid and show me the way. Amen." Please remember that death is not an option to life's problems.

To the rest of us, open our eyes to those around us. If you see any one in need, go to the person and find out whether he or she is fine. That one move may save that person's life. You may think that you are not equipped to help. Sometimes the best help is not in the talking but the listening. Ever wondered why God gives us two ears but only one mouth? It is to remind us to listen more than to talk. We always watch movies that depict only super-heroes coming to the aid of those who are helpless or in trouble - do you know that you too can be a super-hero? No need to wear any colourful costumes or masks, just be a friend and make a difference in his or her life.

Well, what I witnessed this evening kind of took away the excitement that I had for the dinner. I thank God for reminding me that all of us need help some day from someone else - the challenge and encouragement is to approach that someone and go through life's jouney together. It makes the travelling easier to bear.

May the Lord comfort the family of the victim and provide for them accordingly.

I shall end here. I have a couple of other things that I want to write but shall leave them to another day.

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

2 comments:

eStee said...

Thank you. It was a blessing to read! Thank the Lord for someone like you!

www.esteeteo.com

Pilgrim's Progress said...

Hi Estee.

Interesting and nice name you have there.

Thank you for your affirmation. To God be the glory!

Take care.

Andy