Thursday, August 23, 2007

Win God's Favour, Not Man's

I am actually very tired now and it is only 4:30pm. I could not sleep this morning when I went to bed. Tried as best as I could, I still tossed and turned and basically stared blankly at the ceiling. In the end I just took the time to pray and read a book. That went on till around 4 plus in the morning.

In the course of my reading, I was inspired to write a poem - not perfect as compared to some of the greatest we have heard but I thought I still share it in this blog.

Journey of Faith

The journey of life
is filled with nothing but strife.
Obstacles big and small pave the way,
sometimes they make one's life sway.
I asked God why must things be so?
He told me to trust Him,
as these struggles make me grow.
I replied, "my human strength is but limited."
"Do not be afraid," my Lord repeated.
What lies ahead of me I do not know,
only in Christ alone will He show.
To Him now I commit my hurt and pain
For there is no one else to break my chain.
Life will always be a faith-journey,
may God continue to make my legs sturdy
to withstand life's agony.
To God be all the glory!

I wrote this because there are still a lot of uncertainties in some areas of my life. Sometimes I tried to deal with them in my own abilities but all I get in return is pain and disappointments. It can be tiring but I have no choice but to face them. I just hope I will remember to include God in the picture.

I had a good time of fellowship with my accountability group. We decided to meet over lunch as later we need to attend a wake of a brother-in-Christ's grandfather. Today we shared about our weaknesses so that we can help one another overcome them with God's help. I am glad we were able to be opened and willing to share our shortcomings. I hope these will remind us that on our own we may not be able to gain victory over our struggles but when we come together to help one another, it will be a lot easier.

One topic we shared saddens my heart. It is regarding the struggle with always trying to gain people's acceptance. How sometimes we find our worth based on the standards set by the world. It will always cry out to us, "If you do not meet these criterion then you are never good enough."

My question is, "When will it ever be good enough?" To me, this strife will go on and on and on and one will never ever be satisfied. Even Christians fall into this trap and we go along with the patterns of this world.

It is not wrong to be ambitious and to work towards excellence but if we believe that our worth can only found in this world then let us re-evaluate. Where is God in all these pursuits? Do we care about what He thinks of us? Do we do things for the sake of the Lord? Are we honouring Him or man?

Life, to me, is to be enjoyed because this is just a transition. We will not always be on this earth forever. Why let strife take away the joy of living? Does it matter that much what people think of us? So what if we are different from the perception this world has of all mankind? Does it make us weird? In fact, as Christians, we are told to be different. The question is "Do we dare to be so?" Have we got the guts to stand against the norms? I am also reflecting on these questions because it is never easy but it is also not impossible.

Well, may God be our help. I sure hope I will not leave God out in everything I do. I am sure if I honour Him, He will honour me in return and it will definitely be far more than I ever imagine.

I am in a very reflective mood these few days. I hope I can learn some lessons during this period.

I am now in Millennia Walk Coffee Bean. The time now is 5:45pm. I took so long to write this blog because as I was in the midst of typing, one of the supervisers came over to speak to me. She was curious to know why I come so often to this joint for the past few weeks and asked me about my occupation and all. Well, I answered her questions accordingly. When she heard that I blog regularly, she asked whether I could give her my blog details. I hope she will be blest as she reads what I write.

Well, I am waiting for 6pm to come... all cakes will be sold at 50% off. Actually this is one of the reasons why I like to visit this branch as it is the only one I know which gives such good discounts. I hesistate to give out this information as it would mean some who are reading my blog will know of this good deal and compete with me in buying the yummy desserts. :) Nah, it is good to share such deals so that all can enjoy.

Time to go. Thanks be to God for what I am going through now. It will come to past soon.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." Romans 12:1-3

No comments: