Thursday, April 12, 2007

When Will I Ever Be Satisfied?

I arrived this morning after being away since Monday night. First of all, I praise the Lord for His journey mercy upon me throughout the trip. Though I left with jitters, I am now back home safely. Thanks be to God for that.

I have always thought I have seen the worst especially after visiting countries like Cambodia and Vietnam but God opened my eyes to far more atrocities of this fallen world from this trip alone.

Never will I ever complain that I am unfortunate; that life is unfair; that God is so far away; that I want more than what I have now; etc. I will never complain again. Period. If a person like me living in a peaceful and prosperous country like Singapore complains that life is lousy, I really do not know what kind of life it is then for those who come from war-torn countries or from regions where there are drought and famine.

In this life I am given, I am blessed with a family who is always near me; varieties of food to eat; countless amount of clothes to wear; many opportunities to further my education; clean water to drink; many places to shop for new things though Singapore may just be a little red dot on the map; freedom for me to attend church to worship God without persecution; the luxury of being able to bathe more than once daily; a humble flat to call my home (a shelter over my head basically); readily available transportation network for me to commute from one place to another; medication to be administered upon me each time I fall sick; monthly salary for me to draw to sustain me through each month; a computer for me to write this blog. I am so blest to the point where I even have abundant rolls of toilet papers to clean my butt each time I needed to answer nature's call.

It sounds gross in the last point I mentioned but this is truly how blessed I am as an individual - to the extent where even my toilet needs are met. What more do I want to life when it is already so good?

I think it is time for me to wake up, smell the roses around me and count the blessings in my life. Others may not be as fortunate as I am - they usually wake up to the smell of burnt fleshes of their fellow countrymen and count the bodies that are sprawled all over the streets.

Whatever happened to this word called "contentment"? Whatever happened to this word called "grateful"?

Coming back to Singapore seems so unreal but I come back with a grateful heart.

Well, nothing else for me to share except the above-mentioned. It is time for me to re-evaluate my view on life. If I do not learn to cherish all that I have now, then I will never be able to do so even till the day I die. If I am not contented with what I have now, then my life will always be full of strife trying to meet the material wants of this world. If I am not grateful to God for His blessings upon me, then He will never ever truly be my God because I am not trusting Him fully to give me just enough to sustain me through this life I live.

A couple of days ago, a dear friend messaged me to ask whether I am still alive. Well, thanks be to God that I am. I want to thank the Lord for her and also others who have been keeping me in their prayers while I am away. This brought about peace in me as I knew through their intercession I was covered in the blood of Christ at all times. :)

Okie, I shall end here for now. To God be the glory for everything!

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:12-13

"For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:7-10

No comments: