Tuesday, April 17, 2007

How Deep The Father's Love For Us

I thought I could sleep in much later this morning but I woke up at 7:30am. Since I could not go back to bed again I went for a walk with my doggy.

I also did so in the evening and I chanced upon this Indian boy who is autistic. His father tried to get him to touch Sasha because he knows his son likes dogs but the little boy just did not dare.

I decided to spend some time with the boy since his dad did not seem to be in a rush to leave. I actually did not know what to do but I just tried my best to open the boy up. As I know an autistic child has a lack of response to people and limited ability to communicate, I basically used sound instead to get him to lighten up.

I basically did a barking sound to show him how a dog communicates. I pointed to Sasha each time I do that. I might have looked odd doing that at the bus-stop where there were quite a lot of people but I did not care as I wanted to reach out to this boy. After a while, I stopped using sound to associate it with Sasha and used words instead. I mentioned the word "dog" and pointed at Sasha. After repeating this a couple of times, I saw the boy pointing his finger at Sasha each time I mentioned "dog". I was so happy when I saw that.

Then I tried to get the boy to touch Sasha but I needed to affirm him that the doggy is friendly. So each time I said "touch dog", and actually did the action, I would use the next word "good" to assure him that all was well. I did that a few times too and in the end, the boy did touch Sasha.

I was moved when I saw the boy slowly opening himself to Sasha and I. As I did not want to hold them further, I waved my hands to bid them farewell and he responded. The father smiled and walked on with his son.

It must have been tough on the father but I could see that he loves his son lots. As they were leaving the bus-stop, I saw him giving his son a hug and held his hands gently as they strolled off.

It was a heartwarming encounter. I regretted not getting to know the boy and father's names. I hope to do so the next time I see them. The above-mentioned reminded me yet again of God's love as a Father to His children.

Well, I did not do much today except running some errands in the afternoon. I also went to Little India to buy some ingredients for a dish that I am intending to cook next week. It is a Peranakan specialty called Buah Keluak. :)

I guess that is all for today.

How Deep the Father's Love For Us

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross
My sin upon His shoulder
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" 1 John 3:1a

No comments: