Friday, April 06, 2007

Jesus Kept His Word

Today is the day when Jesus Christ did something for you and I - He died on the cross for the sins of mankind. Good Friday happens every year. Sometimes I wonder whether it means anything to us Christians anymore; whether man is still moved by what He did, though many may not be able to grasp this fact because they do not know Him personally.

If not for that sacrifice Jesus did, I would not be able to even share this blog about my thoughts on His crucifixion. His death for my sins gave me a second chance to live my life right.

I went for the Good Friday service this morning and during the sermon I was touched by the fact that Jesus went through something that He could have said no to. He obediently carried out what His Father has tasked Him because it is only through this act of love that man will be able to live again.

I do not know why but this particular scene in my mind touched my heart lots - "Jesus, after His birth, took His first breath and cried as a baby. Jesus, before His death, took His last breath and died as a Redeemer."

I guess I was ministered by the above-mentioned because it showed me Jesus knew His purpose on earth since birth and stuck to it till death. He did not back out. He kept His promise, His Word. Not many would do something like this for me and if I am not touched by this, I do not know what else would.

This then caused me to reflect whether Andy Chew here has kept his promises that he has made with God in living a life pleasing in His sight since the day He accepted Christ as His Lord and Saviour. I guess I can never be like Jesus who is a man of His words but I will never give up striving to live a life of godliness and holiness - of course with the help of the Holy Spirit living in me.

The whole of this afternoon I was struggling with something which I had no idea how to deal with. I was in a dilemma. I prayed about it and I was moved to shared this with a dear friend. I am glad I felt better after that as my heart feels more at peace now.

Anyway, I was in town for a short while with the running gang and as we were walking along Hyatt Hotel, I noticed an old lady sitting by the pavement. She was dozing off and with her she had a bag of tissue papers.

My heart went out to her as I was concerned for her safety since there were some vehicles driving passed her where she was seated. I bought some packets of tissue papers from her. When I was doing that, I was moved to buy something for her to eat and drink. I excused myself from the running gang to buy some food and water.

I gave the lady the foodstuff and she thanked me profusely. Before I left, I advised her to sit somewhere safer. She smiled.

Whenever I thought of her, there was this sense of anger and sadness in me. Sadness as to why she has to sit under the sun and having to slog to sell those packets of tissue papers. She was so tired that she actually dozed off. She may have her reasons for having to do those sale but I just could not contain the pain I felt in me for her. :(

There was anger because I do not know whether she is part of a syndicate and whether she is being exploited. I hope she is being paid reasonably for the effort she put in.

As I walked away, I said a word of prayer for her and hope the Lord will take care of her needs regardless of the circumstances she may be in.

Well, time for me to stop here. By the way, the story of the cross does not end here. Watch out for the next episode on Sunday. I promise it will be something that even the movies can never ever duplicate.

Thanks be to God for the cross!

"At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" When some of those standing near heard this, they said, "Listen, he's calling Elijah." One man ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. "Now leave him alone. Let's see if Elijah comes to take him down," he said. With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last. The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, "Surely this man was the Son of God!" Mark 15:33-39

No comments: