Friday, April 13, 2007

Do Not Be A Hypocrite!

Tomorrow my God-sister is going to perform in a play at her school. I wish her all the best. I pray that she will not have any jitters when on stage and in front of the audience. I am sure she will have all the fun with the rest of the cast members.

This evening I had dinner with a dear friend in church. I bought some food from Lavender Food Centre. I was watching the Gurmit Singh and Michelle Chia's Lost & Found programme the other night and they featured some yummy dishes from there.

Anyway, during the meal I was sharing with her that this whole week I was learning self-control as I am going to teach this topic on Sunday at the Youth Ministry (YM). I was saying that I did not want to be a hypocrite telling the youths to practise it while I myself am not.

Just now while on my way home, I was just pondering on what I have shared with her. I realised I should not just be practising certain attributes of the Christian faith only when I am teaching them. Instead they should be part and parcel of my life that it becomes natural for me to instruct others who are younger in the faith without having to feel hypocritical.

It was a rebuke to me and I will hold this reminder close to my heart from now onwards. :)

Anyway, this brings me to the next topic related to hypocrisy. I was prompted just now not to be quick to point other people's weaknesses if my motive is not to help these persons overcome them. I was also reminded to look at my own shortcomings and see whether I myself am overcoming them first before actually trying to correct others. It is just so easy to fall into this trap and I thank God for sounding this off.

Oh yah, I am glad my friend likes the Adidas Polo-Tee that I changed for her on the day I left for my oversea assignment. Thanks be to God for that!

I spent some time this afternoon preparing for the YM lesson that I was talking about in the earlier paragraphs. I am grateful to God for prompting me to omit or add certain points to what I am to share. I do not know why but I am actually excited about this Sunday as I know in my heart God is going to minister to the youths and I as we learn about His Word together. May the Lord convict us as we listen to His teachings.

Okay, time for me to key off now. It is going to be a busy weekend but I know it is going to be a fun one as well. :)

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:1-5

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." Matthew 7:24-27

No comments: