Saturday, April 14, 2007

Be A Lifestyle-Based Minister

I came back not too long ago from my God-sister's drama presentation at her school. I am very proud that she gave a great performance, both as an actress and also a musician. I hope she enjoyed herself tremendously on stage.

After everything was over, I left the hall with some thoughts as in why sometimes the things I am supposed to do, I do not do; and those things that I am not supposed to do, I do. Then when this realisation comes to mind, what follows are frustrations and disappointments with myself.

I shall dwell on the above paragraph further as I seek the Lord for His guidance and counsel.

Anyway, prior to attending the play, I was in church for two meetings: one with the Worship Team; and the other with the Youth Ministry Mentors. To a certain extent, members of both ministries are trying to see how they can be more effective in their service to God and also to the people.

I could see the good intention of those who attended the meetings as to their desires to be used by God. I also see their burdens for the things they are doing. Some of the suggestions were made as means to minister to the people more pro-actively.

Interestingly when I was listening, I got this prompting that these groups of leaders and members (myself included) need to, first of all, be practising these ideas in their lives in order for others to see and understand why certain things are being carried out in the respective ministries.

But above all, every one needs to pray and seek the Lord so that at the end of the day it is not by our own effort that we are trying to minister but through the Lord's blessings and power.

I was also challenged to consider everything I do as lifestyle-based. This then makes my ministry as real as it can be; to be also more effective as I give counsel or encouragement.

Well, so much for that. I had dinner with those who attended the play and it was great fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters-in-Christ.

I also thank the Lord that my dear friend wore the T-shirt I gave her and that it fits. I was afraid it could not but I can now rest assured. Thanks be to Him.

I shall stop here. I am going to take some time after this to pray for tomorrow's teaching session at the Youth Ministry; for some people; and also for some ministries.

"We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin." Romans 7:14-25

"To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue. Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:1, 3 & 9

No comments: