Sunday, April 29, 2007

What Is God's Calling For Me?

Today has been a super-long and tiring one for me but thanks be to God for pulling me through all the hectic schedules.

There are just so many things to thank the Lord for:-

1) I attended the Youth Ministry session this morning where a missionary from Uruguay came to share her testimony. Her name is June Chua.

She was called to serve in the mission field when she was studying in the United Kingdom. She began to ask God about the purpose of life on earth when a dear friend of hers was murdered when she was running alone in MacRitchie Reservoir several years ago.

June married a man who was once a drug addict but God changed his life when he attended a Benny Hinn Rally. She was sharing that when the Holy Spirit falls upon the life of a person, he would be completely changed inside-out. Her husband never turned back to drugs again and they have been happily married for 17 years with two teenage kids.

In the course of sharing about her growing up years, June encouraged the youths that there are two major decisions that they should not compromise when they are at a stage in life where they are considering about marriage and their future: one is that their life-partner must be a God-fearing man or woman - a person after God's own heart; two is the need for the individual to seek the Lord as to what He really wants him or her to do with his or her life - a goal; a purpose. I hope I got them right. The two points she mentioned hit me hard because they are truly vital in one's life.

Anyway, when June and her husband were praying as to where the Lord might want them to serve as missionaries, they were prompted to go to Uruguay.

They rented a shop space and started inviting people living in the streets into their church. Many of them are HIV-positive. Though a couple of them died after a while, the couple were thankful that they left this world knowing God at least.

The above-mentioned were some of the points that spoke to me. I had to leave early for the Worship Team rehearsal so I did not get the chance to listen to the rest.

The thing that hit me about the life of our missionary-sister is that there is joy in all that she does though the tasks entrusted to the missionary couple can be very daunting at times. This was my conclusion as I reflected on the testimony shared - when one obeys God's call; He will provide for the person all the way.

2) The praise and worship session at the 11:15am service went well. Praise the Lord! I do not know about the rest but at one stage, I cried as I sang because I felt God healing my heart. During the Youth Ministry session, I became down-trodden suddenly. I asked God to heal me and not let this affect my service to Him as a worship-leader. Well, He truly answered my prayer and lifted my spirit. I want to give God all the glory for all that had happened during the service.

3) The mission training session immediately after the service was also an enriching one for me as I shared with the team about the history of missions in the Methodist Church and also in the local church. The team members were spontaneous in the sharing. I believe God will use each and every one of them powerfully when they go forth to the land of Cambodia that God has called the church to.

Well, these were the three things that I was involved in back to back from early in the morning to the later part of the afternoon. I thank God for the fish burger that was provided to me by a brother-in-Christ. Though I got to eat it only at 4pm, I was still thankful there was at least something to sustain me physically.

A dear friend of mine is down with stomach flu. I hope she will feel better after seeing the doctor tomorrow. For now I pray the Lord will sustain her physically tonight as I know the uncomfortable feeling of being sick - not really an experience one would want to go through.

Actually a couple of my other friends are also down: my dear friend's sister is having a bad tummy; my Pastor-in-Charge is down with food poisoning; another has rashes all over his body, another is feeling a little weak. I pray the Lord will heal each and every one of them real soon.

I went for a run in the evening with the MacRitchie Running Fellowship (MRF). We did about 8km but I did not finish the whole route. Sigh. In the halfway mark, my left knee was a little painful and I also felt kind of weak - maybe because I did not eat sufficiently. Anyway, I decided to brisk-walk instead and I thank the Lord I still managed to reach the finishing point.

It was dinner next. The MRFers celebrated a brother's birthday and we went to Thomson Plaza's Swensens. It was a great time of fellowship as we feasted.

Well, I am glad I am finally home. I am looking forward to a good sleep tonight. I hope the Lord will refresh me during my slumber.

Time to end here. God is good, all the time; all the time, God is good!

"Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:10-11

No comments: