Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Always Be Filled With The Holy Spirit

Tonight I am supposed to have an appointment with a friend but I decided to postpone it to next week. I did not want to miss the Holy Week service and once again, I thank God for the time spent listening to His message.

I could have enjoyed the time fellowshipping with my friend but nothing beats learning from the Lord. I left the service super-refreshed and enlightened. I was also challenged to do a few things.

Today's message is on "The Spirit's Manifestation And The Disciple's Greater Works". There were a lot of precious lessons being taught by the speaker. I shall attempt to sum them up but I hope I will not dilute the points made.

Rev. Wee Boon Hup was basically reminding the congregation that as disciples of God, there are many things that we need to do for the people around us. Sometimes some of these things we do are greater than those Jesus did when He was on earth. This does not mean we are mightier than Him though.

Rev. Wee basically wanted the congregation to know that after Jesus resurrected and a few days later ascended to heaven, the work on earth has not ended but it has now been entrusted to the disciples (you and I).

Though there are many things that we have been entrusted with (1 Corinthians 12:8-10), we are also warned that we are not to do them with our own strength. To assist us, God gave us the Holy Spirit and we are to tap on the Spirit's guidance at all times.

With that, God wants His disciples to meet the needs of the people using the spiritual gifts and the Spirit's assistance.

We were also challenged to always be ready for the Holy Spirit to use us anytime and anywhere. It need not always necessarily be in church.

After sharing all the above-mentioned, Rev. Wee again reminded the congregation about last night's message. In order for us to carry out the work of God, we must, first of all, learn to love. This will enable us to be more effective in the things we do.

The maturity of a disciple is not measured by the number of talents or gifts in him or by the number of things he does but it is more so the amount of love he demonstrate to the people around him.

I was also challenged to always desire for the Holy Spirit to fill me so that my life can stand against the temptations of this world. When a disciple always desires for the things of God, the natural reaction for him is that he is always ready to be used by God and he also desires less of the worldly pursuits (materialism, fame, recognition, etc).

Well, last night and tonight have boosted my spirit and my walk. Thanks be to God for that! It is my prayer from here onwards that in the remaining days of my pilgrim's journey here on earth, I desire nothing else other than to do God's work in the secular environment He has placed me in.

I am looking forward to the next few sessions in the coming days. It is my prayer that more will attend the services and be blessed by God through the learning of His Word. I guess it is through these deliberate acts in sacrificing other activities or schedules of our busy lifestyles that our knowledge and understanding of God grow deeper and clearer.

Well, I must say I am feeling much much better compared to last week. God is truly good. He never fails to amaze me. :)

I shall end here. Need to get some work done before watching the PSV-Liverpool match at 2:30am.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever — the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:12-18

"Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. 1 Corinthians 12:1-11

No comments: