Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Open My Eyes To The Surroundings

I went to the Blood Bank this afternoon to donate my blood. As I was lying down, having my blood drawn, I chanced upon an old man, probably in his late 50s or early 60s. He was ushered opposite where I was and I could hear his conversation with the nurse.

She was asking the man how he was and he answered by saying that life for him has not been good. No job and no money to get by. He remarked to the nurse that his reason for giving blood was to obtain the free food and drink voucher which he can claim after the donation. I thought he was just joking with the nurse.

I finished earlier than the man and I was at the cafeteria drinking my barley and eating my chocolate muffin. Not long later, the old man came to the cafeteria. The waiter asked him what he wanted for his complimentary food. Thinking that he could order anything, he asked for a plate of mee siam. The waiter told him that was not part of the deal for the food voucher and explained to the man that he could either have a bun or a muffin.

I could tell that he was disappointed. He took a muffin and a glass of chrysanthemum tea and walked slowly to an empty table next to mine. I think this poor man has not eaten much as he was very thin. My heart went out to him as I could tell that he was hungry and having just donated his blood, I knew he needed more than the muffin that was given to him.

As I was leaving the cafeteria, I instructed the waiter to serve the old man a plate of mee siam that he initially wanted and paid for the order. I went off after that. Though I did not get to see how the old man reacted when he saw the order, my prayer as I left the Blood Bank was that his stomach was filled for the day and that the Lord will provide for him through others who know of his plight.

I am sharing about the above-mentioned not to boast about my actions but to remind myself and others that there are people who are like the old man in this prosperous island-nation. It is sad to know of them being neglected. I just hope the Lord will be specially close to these poor souls.

Well, I hope the Lord will open my eyes to more of these persons as I walk along the streets - sometimes a small deed done would mean a lot to them. Sigh.

Anyway, to God be the glory for the above-mentioned. I headed for church after the donation and met some youths for the Unusual 24/7 Prayer Session. It was a fruitful time as I prayed with one of the youths and I am glad he told me he will keep doing it on his own. I could tell he was nervous and not used to praying aloud but the fact that he took up the courage to do so, I believe God will honour him by answering his prayers.

I think so far this event has been a good one especially in encouraging those who have not been praying often to do so regularly.

May the Lord make my church to be a house of prayer and may this be one of the pillars of the church.

I just finished preparing the slides for this Friday. I am supposed to do a presentation on missions to the Girls' Brigade. Initially I was telling my dear friend that there is a mental block - I just could not seem to let the preparations flow. After dinner, I spent some time in prayer and asked the Lord to help me. As always, He did and I just finished the presentation. Thanks be to God! :)

I shall end here. I am actually writing this blog now in church. I shall leave for home now.

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:1-4

No comments: