Sunday, September 04, 2011

Charity Bike 'n' Blade

I was contemplating whether to do housework after coming back from a two-day expedition with about 100 cyclists from Singapore to Kota Tinggi and back to Singapore again. In the end, I decided to do so. It is a sooner or later matter so I might as well just finish them. This will then free me to do other stuff for the new week ahead.

I am very tired and burnt but it was all worth it as the whole cause of this event has raised more than half a million dollars for a hospital. I have taken about 800 photos but after throwing away all those which I do not like, I am left with about 500.

This is my first time doing a photography on such an event and I was excited! Though I had to wake up at 3.30am on the first day just so that I can be at West Coast Park by 5.00am, I was not complaining as I know God was going to do something great!

Something great He truly did - the whole event went smoothly and all cyclists and volunteers were safe when it came to a close at 3.00 this afternoon. By then I was already quite zombified as I had to wake up at 4.00am so that we could have breakfast at 5.30am before the second round of the expedition commenced at 7.00am.

Other than photography, I was also helping the other volunteers in serving drinks to the cyclists at different water-points as it was a gruelling 350km distant for them. We also gave out bananas to them for extra energy. Along the way, I ate a couple of them.

The organisers and volunteers were a fun lot of people. Though I only knew them yesterday, we were able to connect. I also got to know the other three photographers - Wei Yu, Wai Chung and Ashton. We talked about how we started to like photography and also what we do as a living. It was great to have known them. We even exchanged contacts to continue to keep in touch with one another.

I also got to know a new friend, Linda, who is a colleague of a dear brother-in-Christ in church. We talked quite a bit on missions and how we want to return a portion of what we have been blest with to others. I pray God will use this dear friend mightily as not many people hold that kind of desire in blessing others with what they have! Praise the Lord for her!

Oh yah!!! I had the bestest bak kut teh on our way to Kota Tinggi. The organisers were raving about it and it kind of raised my expectation. In the evening, I went over to one of the organisers' rooms to savour it and it was GOOD!!! On our way to the hotel, during the expedition, we bought three thermal pots worth of this yummilicious dish! Nothing was left at the end of it all!

It was sad when the event came to a close as I really enjoyed the time spent taking photos of the cyclists before, during and after their rides and also knowing the volunteers. I regretted I could not make it last year but I am thankful to God that I am able to this year, though I was roped in late to cover one of the photographers who could not make it.

After the certificates of participation and service were handed out to the cyclists and volunteers respectively, we departed our separate ways.

I was with Linda and another new friend I made, Wai. We decided to drive to Tebrau City in Johor Bahru to buy some stuff from Jusco. I bought mooncakes for grandma. After dropping Wai just before the Johor Immigration check-point, Linda and I headed back to Singapore. We continued our conversation from where we left off last night and it was a fruitful journey back.

Well, I am TIRED! I shall stop here.

Before I key off, I also had a great time of fellowship with my room-mate, Kenga, who is also from my church. We talked about the church and how we should play a part in serving God and His people and also the need to keep on praying for the pastors, leaders and members that we will all know what is the purpose of us being a church. I am glad to know of this brother who is also burdened for the church and we reminded each other to not cease interceding for her especially since God has helped us grow in the number of years we have been worshipping in this congregation.

Interestingly, both of us had considered leaving the church before but we decided to stay on to see how we can contribute in helping everyone grow in the Lord and to be a light in the community God has placed us in.

That is all, I guess.

Have a blessed week, everyone and good night! :)

No comments: