Monday, September 12, 2011

One Investment Worth Considering

I am reminded today that there is no such thing as a loss when investing one's time in someone's life. If we can make a difference, why not? There is basically this satisfaction in seeing a smile on someone's face when you spend the time with that person.

Of course, there will be times when pain is involved as well... especially when that someone you are reaching out hurts you in return. The question is - why focus on the pain when you should focus on the process? Not all the time, there will be immediate effect in ministering to an individual. Some may take a while longer but the result is usually the same - a life being touched.

The above-mentioned is a follow-up on what I blogged yesterday. I was reflecting today on whether it was wrong for me to write those thoughts but I felt it was okay since it is something that I am struggling with now.

I was also reminded that when I was growing up, a few very caring siblings-in-Christ and a teacher did not give up on me. Who and what I am now is a result of their persistence in reaching out to a wayward child. If they had given up, I will probably not be a lecturer where now I am returning their kindness and love by investing my time in the lives of others - my students.

Another powerful tool which I have been using when ministering to lives is prayer. It reminds me that I am a medium for God to use me in touching another life. Initially I took the full load of caring for someone on my shoulders and there were many occasions when I felt discouraged when there were no results. There were also moments when I just wanted to throw in the towel and simply give up! But now, the load is no more on mine but Jesus'. It is definitely much easier in reaching out to others because now I know I have God by my side to help me.

Prayer also helps me to persevere and when there is no progress still, I will just pray and hope that in God's time, He will make all things beautiful.

Yesterday a parent who is worried for her child came to speak to me just outside the sanctuary of my church. She shared about her concerns especially when her child is now looking for an identity in this world. It is heartening to know that this mother loves her child so much that she is willing to share it with someone outside of the family just so that together we can reach out and touch the life of that young person.

I encouraged her to keep on praying while concurrently spending time with her child. I also assured her that some of the mentors in the Youth Ministry are also making an effort. As I was praying about this in the morning, I had peace in my heart that one day, that young life will be transformed and he, in return, will someday touch someone else when he becomes an adult and mentor to another.

I also remembered a dear friend sharing with me that she wants to help at a hospice but she feels she is not ready for it. I understand how she feels because it can be emotionally draining. I am praying for her daily that God will use her good intention eventually to touch a terminally-ill patient. Sometimes it is not about words of comfort but one's presence by their side which will make the dying leave this world peacefully.

If there is one investment worth considering, this is it! Investment of lives - good returns guaranteed!

No comments: