Friday, September 09, 2011

It's A Privilege To Love

I just finished doing housework. Eversince coming back from Brewertz after watching the All Blacks beat Tonga 41 -10, I have swept the floor, washed all the fans, ironed all the clothes and cleaned the toilets. Praise God for pulling me through all these.

After I washed up, grandma asked me to go into her room and we chatted for a while. She asked me a strange question as in whether she has been a burden to the family and whether her forgetfulness has inconvenient my parents and I.

I assured her that she has not been. I also told her that everyone loves her no matter how difficult things can be at times. I also told her that God loves her. She then made an interesting remark which showed me that all these months of affirming her rather than putting her down has worked amazingly.

She said she is grateful that she still has a family whom she can depend on. I smiled when she said that. I added another point for her to note - that above all else, she should be grateful to God for seeing her through each day. She agreed as she told me she has been praying every morning, afternoon, evening and night.

I am glad to hear all that! :)

Through this brief conversation, all I can say is this - it is always a privilege to love. It can never go wrong.

I could have scolded my grandma whenever her nonsense surfaces but it would not help her in any way. Instead she would feel lousy. I could have resented my parents whenever they quarrel but that would not solve the issue they are squabbling with. If I had shown my frustration, I would have been embroiled into that very situation I am trying to resolve. I could have ignored the elderly lady I met in the streets of The Haag in The Netherlands but there would be this niggling feeling that perhaps for that day, she might not have food or water to drink. Likewise for the cardboard aunty I met near my estate, if I have left her alone, she probably may not have a new umbrella to shelter her from the rain or the sun. I could have not bothered about the Cambodian boy who asked me whether I would come back the next year but in my heart I know he would have been disappointed if he had not seen me again.

The above list can go on and on and on. I am also not sharing all these to boast about what I have done. All I can testify is that the love shown to me by God and now the love I show to others has made a difference and impact.

It is definitely much better than bearing a grudge or a hatred or a resentment or a selfish thought. All these stifle us whereas the ability to love frees us to do more! :)

I am also glad that in the course of my life's journey, I have had the privilege to love some women whom I had considered being my life-partner. Though I have entered into one serious relationship only and though it did not work out in the end due to circumstances involving my kidney injury a few years ago, it was a joy to have shared my love with that person.

Well, I do not know whether I would ever have the honour to love another lady but having loved before has brought a lot of joy in my life. Along the way should there be another opportunity, then all praise to God for that. :)

I hope I make sense in what I have written so far. :)

I shall rest now and look forward to the weekend ahead.

No comments: