Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nevermind The Inconveniences

I have about an hour before back-to-back meetings commence. The morning meeting is not so bad but it is the afternoon one which I am a little nervous about as we are meeting an important person which I am not at liberty to mention here.

Well, I hope everything will end as scheduled. Tonight I have another gathering which I hope I do not have to rush for.

Yesterday has been an eventful day for me. Towards the evening, I had to come back home at a last-minute's notice as grandma was throwing her tantrums again. As there was no one home, I had no choice but to head back to ensure that she is fine.

She was sharing her frustrations that no one loves her and the usual stuff. At one point she was also crying. I just listened to her as I felt she needed a listening ear. After that I prayed with her.

Sometimes it can be frustrating and inconvenient when I have to deal with situations like the above-mentioned but I learnt yesterday that there is no point questioning thoughts like "Why is God or life being so unfair to me?" or "Why can't my loved ones be healthy and okay so that all these inconveniences will not happen?"

I know they are all valid questions and everyone has the right to ask them but all these are part and parcel of life. Growing old is a natural thing. Being sick can happen to anyone. I have learnt in the past few months that it is pointless to ask the "Whys" anymore as they are quite rhetorical. I guess it is better to focus on the "Hows."

This is where God comes into the picture and the one main thing I can do is to pray. Some may ask, "So what, after that?" Well, to me, usually after praying it will help me look at things in perspective and this will allow me to deal with matters at hand more rationally. It also takes away the frustrations or the disappointments. All these then help me to see that as much as grandma needs my help and it may cost me something, she is afterall my grandma and if I can make a difference in her life by just being there for her, then so be it - I will be there for her! Sometimes I feel that it is easier and faster in handling matters with this attitude.

I hope I make sense here. Anyway, I went out to catch a breather once mum and dad came home. I joined a couple of friends to The Boiler Room to listen to some nice music. After that we had dinner at Vivocity.

This was where another incident happened. While waiting for our food to arrive, we heard screaming from the escalator area which was not too far away from the restaurant we were in. I decided to go and investigate as a crowd was building up.

On one of the escalators I noticed an elderly couple. It was the man I took notice of as he was bleeding from the forehead. I quickly rushed to him and requested for tissue papers from the people around as I needed to stop the bleeding. Praise God for a young parent - he took out a big pack of tissues from under the stroller and I quickly used a thick chunk of it and pressed against the gash which was quite deep.

Soon the security guards came with first-aid boxes. Two nurses were in the vicinity and they took out the gauzes and I used them to cover the wound. One of them called the ambulance and another kind gentleman went to buy a bottle of mineral water so that the injured man can take sips of it.

We occasionally probed whether he was okay by asking whether he felt giddy or numb or whether he saw white spots when blinking. Thank God there was nothing of that sort.

The ambulance came. The police took down my particulars. After that I joined my friends again.

The police called me when I reached home to inform me that the man's gash has been stitched up and that he would be discharged that same day. Praise the Lord for that.

Apparently, the man tripped while coming down the escalator. He fell and hit his head against the sharp edges of the steps. He and his wife were carrying a lot of things and they were strewed all over.

Anyway, like I said, an eventful day but not the kind I would hope for. Haha.

I shall end here and prepare for the meeting. Looking forward to the day ahead! :)

No comments: