Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Elderly Lady Who Eats Scraps

Towards the late morning, I decided to go to Toa Payoh Lorong One to have my brunch. Actually it was not the food that lured me there but more so an elderly lady whom I bumped into a few months ago when I was there lunching at the hawker centre with some of the church staff.

I found her and like the last time I saw her, she was eating off the scraps left behind by a customer. This time she was finishing the leftovers of a plate of fried carrot cake. Not much left but she was eating them. Sigh.

I decided to get a plate of freshly fried ones for her. My observation about this lady is that she probably has a mental disability. No matter what she is suffering from, she is still a human and I was just wondering what can we do to help people like her.

Anyway, I placed the plate on the table. She stared at me blankly and started eating it. I also got her a cup of tea. As I walked away, I prayed for her and trust that God will provide for her daily needs through others who have compassion for her.

Usually after seeing a situation like this, I just do not have the heart to eat something extravagant. This basically reminded me to be contented with whatever food I get to eat daily because not everyone can enjoy that sort of luxury.

It also reminded me of a church member, who has passed on, who used to set aside an empty chair at the dining table in his home just so that when he comes home from work and sees a needy person, he would invite him or her to dine with the family. How many of us are willing to do the same?

I came home after that. I basically did some more housework. When I was done with that, I played with Sasha. She is exceptionally playful today. When I was reading the newspapers in the living room, she would sit on the papers. When I shoo-ed her away, she would gallop like a horse - running as far and as fast as she could. I managed to catch her at one point and just tickled her.

I just did some more research on road-bikes and was talking to a dear brother-in-Christ about it on FaceBook. I have another brother-in-Christ who is considering selling his bike but I need to know more about the specifications and price before I decide. Next week I may go check some out at the shops and then make a decision from there.

A fruitful Saturday so far. I do not know what I am to do next but I shall take it easy. :)

Before I go, should any of you decide to eat at Toa Payoh Lorong One hawker centre (the one which sells the famous handmade mini pows) and if you do see the elderly lady, buy her something to eat. Maybe have the food packed so that she can bring it with her wherever she goes.

No comments: