Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hard Knock, Literally!

It has been a packed day. I had to conduct a workshop in the morning for a group of students who are interested in going to Cambodia to do some community work. It was more of a Q&A session with them but I started off by sharing how I got involved in the work of missions in Cambodia 10 years ago and what kept me on till now.

I basically emphasized on the importance of having a heart for the people. If you do not have that, it will just be going through the motion but if you do, then it is all about passion! The people whom you are reaching out to can tell. That is why when I first went to Cambodia, a young Khmer boy asked me whether I would be back again because he can tell who are the ones who are interested in his life and his people and who are not.

I hope this will stir in the hearts of the students that community work is not going to be a one-off involvement. It should be a continuous effort. It is emotionally draining. No doubt about that. But the result is always an encouraging one. So long as one life is touched, that is good enough!

After that, it was off to grocery-shopping. Preparing a four-course meal is perfect but also a lot of work but I am already looking forward to it. I will not share in details here until after the gathering is over. :)

I was at NEX buying all the ingredients but before I did that, I had to answer nature's call. While walking to the toilet, an emergency out-swinging door opened suddenly and slammed right smack on my forehead. There was a small gash and blood started to trickle down but I figured it was nothing serious to warrant a visit to the doctor. There is a slight swell now.

Looking back, seriously how coincident can it be that I had to be where I was and the door had to open at that point of time. Anyway, it was a freak accident. Just about 30 minutes ago, I had my bath after coming back from a night meeting... I totally forgot about the bruise on my forehead and when I towelled dry my head area, it rubbed against the wound and it bled again. Haha.

I guess I will have to be more careful tomorrow.

Well, I think in our journey, we need to get knocked once in a while to wake up our senses. Well, though mine was a literal one but it sure reminded me of the need to not take things for granted and be complacent about life.

I need to go chop some garlic now and soak them in olive oil for the salad that I am preparing.

Good night, everyone. Have a restful night and a great day tomorrow! :)

No comments: