Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Think First; Act Second!

I have no idea how to start my blog about something that I want to share. It has to do with three individuals I encountered: a couple at Marina Square; and a lady, featured on TV just about 10 minutes ago, selling tissue papers.

Both saddened my heart and there was a sense of anger too.

I had a meeting in Suntec City and was heading for City Hall MRT to meet three brothers-in-Christ for the Accountability Group session. I detoured to Marina Square for a while as I needed to check out some shops.

I chanced upon the John Little Sale. I was browsing through the items displayed and was standing next to this couple. They were close enough and the lady's voice was loud enough for people around her to listen to her comments. She was remarking to her boyfriend (I figured they are not married as they did not have any wedding-band on their ring-fingers) that the John Little plastic bag with the words, "The Sale Bag - John Little," did not suit the working clothes that they were wearing. They were well-dressed, I must say, but why make such comments? Are people supposed to wear sloppily at a sale? Does it affect one's image that badly?

Come on, let's get real! What has the world become? Why such mentality? Singapore is considered a very blessed nation and many of the citizens are given spending powers to buy whatever they want. Are sale items inferior goods? What's wrong with dressing well and at the same time being at a sale?

I wanted to give the lady a piece of my mind but I did not. As I was walking, I learnt something about human nature and I am equally guilty of this - usually the person who is conscious of what people think of him is also the one who is quick to make comments on others. Of course the comments here refer to the bad ones.

As for the lady featured on television selling tissue papers, the sad part is about how people viewed her. There is a twist to this story though. The lady stays on a landed property. What angered me was people's impression of her - that staying in a house means she is rich; that she is exploiting people despite of her wealth; etc.

Since when is it wrong for a person staying on a landed property to sell tissue papers? The programme went on to explain that this lady did not even pass her Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE). Her mother asked her to try again and after three attempts, she still did not make it. Her father passed away and left them with the house.

The presenter mentioned that the lady was mentally unsound but at the same time, she had to take care of her aging mother. For a person who does not have any qualifications and needs to take care of her mother, selling tissue papers for a living (despite of her mental problem) is a decent thing to do as compared to stealing or robbing others.

Let us try as much as we can to stop being too quick to judge others (especially when we do not know about their backgrounds) or taking things for granted and making snobbish remarks due to the affluence of one's society like Singapore.

Sale or no sale does not speak of one's image - it is one's character that matters!

I am tired after a long day at work but at the same time I want to watch the Champions League match between Liverpool and Marseille later at 2:55am. Haha.

Anyway, I am still uncertain.

"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." Hebrews 13:15-16

No comments: