Saturday, October 20, 2007

Playing It Safe

How irritating can it be when I was eating a piece of rib-eye steak just now that a small bit of it got stuck in between my teeth. It is quite gross and up till now I am still trying to remove the remnants. It is also such a coincidence that I ran out of my dental floss.

Then about 10 minutes ago when I was opening some medication for mum, first the aluminium foil slid the part of my left thumb where the nail is attached to the flesh. Since I could not use my left thumb to rip the foil, I had to use my right one and guess what? The same thing happened. Now both my thumbs sting badly. The paper-cut kind of feeling. Sigh.

Anyway, after I got home from grocery-shopping at Ang Mo Kio Hub NTUC, I watched the Everton vs Liverpool match. As always, I almost died when I saw how badly they played. They were one goal down - guess who scored? Sammi Hyppia, Liverpool's very own veteran defender. It was an own goal.

If ever there is such a thing called "luck", it was surely with the Reds. In the second half of the game, they scored two goals through penalties - both were fouls committed by two Everton players and they were both red-carded in the process. Well, not all the time such "miracle" happens and the Reds had better start pulling up their socks.

Later there is another major match going on and I will be out with my rugby fanatics to Clarke Quay! How I wish it would have been a New Zealand vs South Africa Rugby World Cup Final but it is not to be. I am banging on England to win as I find the South African players a little too cocky. May the English ruggers humble them!

Anyway, in the afternoon I was with the Youth Ministry Mentors (YMMs). We gathered to do curriculum-planning for the coming year, 2008. Well, it was a good session as we evaluated what we have done so far. We also shared about our desires for the youths based on their needs. We did not really go into details about everything that we brainstormed but I thought it was a good start to be opened with one another.

Though I was encouraged by the above-mentioned, one thing sort of bothered me when I was walking around the supermarket. It dawned upon me that we have not really spent time praying and searching for the Lord to show us the way for the Youth Ministry (YM).

What happens if the plans we have discussed are not what God wants us to focus on? During the planning session, we shelved a couple of ideas because we felt the youths are not ready - what if those are the very things God wants the YM to head towards? We decided to take the easier ideas because probably that is the logical and more manageable things to do but the Christian faith also challenges the believers to be bold and radical. Are we?

Are we not praying because we are doubtful whether God would speak? Or are we afraid to go the direction that God may call us to venture into for fear that it may not be the kind of stuff we like or it may create inconveniences with regards to planning?

Well, I have no clear answers to that except that I believe the YMMs would know them in their hearts. Have we playing safe all these while? Food for thought, I guess.

Anyway, I need to go wash up now. A friend will be coming by to pick me up. The gang wants to go and have supper first. I shall resist eating later as I am still very full.

Alright, here is to ENGLAND!!! Shung, thank you for the England Rugby Polo-Tee that you got me not too long ago. I am going to wear that later!

"To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue." Proverbs 16:1

"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9

"Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered. When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the fig tree wither so quickly?" they asked. Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:18-22

No comments: