Friday, October 05, 2007

Obeying God's New Commandment

I just came back not too long ago from a belated birthday celebration for a dear brother-in-Christ with another brother. It was a simple meal of pork-ribs soup with a few other dishes at Balestier Road. We had Chinese herbal desserts after that.

I thank God for the great time of fellowship together as we caught up with one another. I enjoyed the moment as it was a reunion since it has been quite a while the three of us last met.

In this pilgrim's journey of mine, there are a few things that I am always assured of - one of them is definitely the close friendship that I have with a few of my siblings-in-Christ. It can be as long as a few months before we actually meet again but it has never been difficult for us to carry on from where we left off and the encouragement will always be there as we begin to share our lives with one another.

I also know that these are some friends whom I can depend on when I am in need. This is already a blessing as it assures me that I am not going through the journey of life alone.

I know in reality I cannot have every one as my close friends though it is possible but it takes a lot of effort on both parties to make it happen. I guess it is the quality of time that one spends with another that is more important than the quantity.

I also learnt that a friendship develops deeper when both parties are not judgmental of one another's character, habits, etc. Once we begin to judge, it stops one's desire to help another's shortcomings or weaknesses. But if one learns to accept another as who he is, then it gives avenue over time to help him overcome his struggle.

That is why, even in a church, there are so many broken relationships because we just refuse to accept one another's shortcomings. Can you imagine how powerful the body of Christ can be if all make an attempt to love one another as who we are? It is so sad that many times we see fellow Christians as enemies when the real enemy is actually creating the animosity amongst siblings-in-Christ.

I am equally guilty of this. I would love to justify by saying that I am afterall a human. That is true but I know it is an excuse I am using as I also know in my heart that all I need to do is to accept one another wholeheartedly.

Well, that is why Christians are creating their own downfall when in actual fact, we should be the ones building one another up. If we cannot do that, how can we win the world to Christ? I am not ashamed to write this as it is actually happening in the churches today.

Let us begin to see and love one another with God's eyes and heart respectively. That is when reconciliation will happen and the community of believers will begin to shine brightly and win this broken world back to the One who created it.

Thanks be to God for the fellowship of believers and for His love that binds all together!

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35

No comments: