Monday, October 15, 2007

My Human Strength Or His Divine Strength

It is only Monday and I am already so tired. I sometimes wish all the responsibilities I am holding both at work and in church will go away for a few days so that I can breathe a little and re-organise my thoughts. Everything is crying out for attention.

At work, things just changed at the blink of an eye. When I started on my project which I am not at liberty to reveal it publicly, I was told to look into a certain direction in the planning. I have put in two weeks of research and thoughts to it and today, in a meeting after lunch, all that went down the drain when I was told there is a change in direction. Sometimes I wonder what is the point of putting in so much effort when it is not at all appreciated.

Yes, for Christians, we should not win the favours or praises of man but sometimes it would help to have a little of that as a booster. I am a human after all. Anyway, what I have written in this paragraph probably sounds inconherent. It is. So please do not read too much into it. Just venting my frustrations, that is all.

It did not help when preparations for the Mission and Vacation-With-A-Purpose trips have met with some hiccups. I received some emails from the pastor of the sister-church in Cambodia and another missionary informing me that the period of travel is a festive holiday (Water Festival) for the locals.

The Khmer pastor informed me that his leaders and helpers are planning a retreat during that period. As for the missionary, she informed me that the school she and her husband set up will be closed during the national celebration.

I do not think it is an issue for the Vacation-With-A-Purpose team since their objective is more of a holiday and this festival would be an appropriate one to allow them to see for themselves how the locals celebrate their festivities.

I am more concerned for the Mission Team. I have already replied to the above two siblings-in-Christ's emails and requested for them to advise what else the team can do.

The teams cannot change the period of travel as the air-tickets have already been booked. On top of that, all flights to Cambodia, I have been told, are almost fully booked till December. If the number of people going is small, then it may be easier to change but with a total of 20 persons from both teams, it is going to be tough.

Anyway, I reached a point where I just could not think of any more contingency plans. I basically went to my living room to pray. I shared with the Lord my anxieties, concerns, fears - whatever you might call it as He is the only One now who can help us.

Every day my mind is also thinking of the Missions Policy review. One candidate for the Review Committee could not commit as he will be away on a work-trip for two months. Now I have to consider another which I have in mind but need the approval of the Pastoral Representative to the Missions Committee, who is now away.

In the midst of all these busyness, I sensed an imminent danger of drowning into this sea of work. I am already almost fully immersed and I think I need to quickly get out of the water before it is too late.

Anyway, I need to surrender all of the above-mentioned to the Lord.

Well, I feel better now - purging all that is welling up in me onto this blog. I am definitely depending on my own strength and ability to handle these inconviences of life. I guess I need to refocus my eyes back on high and trust God to pull me through the next three months.

I was actually thinking of a holiday trip during the end of the year holiday season but now it seems impossible. Another time, I guess. I have another burden to share but I am not ready to blog it yet as it concerns many people. I may or may not eventually share it. I shall see how first.

Thanks be to God for this experience anyway. Again one of those times in my pilgrim's journey that I do not wish to encounter but since I am in it, I shall see what the Lord would want me to learn from this. :)

That is it for tonight. I have maxed out. Time for me to sleep even though it may be tough.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

No comments: