Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Bless Even When It Is Tough

My family celebrated dad's 73rd birthday and we ate in one of the restaurants in Novena area. As I was early, I decided to shop at Novena Square. I was in Watson's Store when I had a bad encounter with a lady, probably in her late 40s, who was simply unreasonable and rude.

I was buying some toiletries and was walking along the aisles. After I had picked up the last product, I decided to head for the cashier's counter to make payment. The aisles in the store were narrow. There were a couple of people shopping for their stuff as well.

I had to walk along this aisle in order to reach the payment counter when I was blocked by this lady. I said "excuse me" three times and she refused to budge. The fourth time when I did that, she simply made this comment which appalled me. She said, "You are so fat. Why can't you use other aisles?" I was fuming, that I cannot deny, but I decided to let it be and not say some nasty things which might hurt her feelings.

I wanted to raise my voice so loud which could have scared her but I controlled myself; she was also horizontally-challenged but I decided not to point that out to her and hurt her; I wanted to reason with her as to why she could not just moved a little for me to pass but decided it was useless as she was already so defensive and stubborn.

I detoured and took a longer route. Along the way, a few customers who witnessed what had happened smiled at me and told me to let it be. Even one of the staff said the lady was too much. I whispered a prayer and asked the Lord to help me relax. Anyway, I paid for the items.

Just before I left the store, I decided to go back to where the lady was. I looked her straight in the eyes and said, "God bless you, ma'am" and walked on. I do not know what her reaction was but frankly I am not concerned about that as I really wanted to bless her despite of what she said.

I felt better after doing that and headed for the restaurant to feast with my family. The above incident could have spoilt my mood especially when I needed to celebrate dad's birthday but it was not worth the while to let it affect me.

Frankly speaking, I am saddened (again) as to how the society view people who are fat. Even amongst friends, sometimes the comments they made were insensitive as there were people like me in their midst. These remarks do not make me lose my self-esteem but there are others who might be hurt simply because some people just could not keep their comments to themselves.

Well, I had a great time of celebration with my parents, grandma, brother, my uncle, cousins and their partners. I thank God that dad enjoyed himself. He had all his favourite dishes on the table and he ate to his heart's content. I was also full after the last dish was served.

I finished my work early and I met up with my God-sister in Ngee Ann City Coffee Bean. She did her revision while I did my work. I had a reasonably good time with her. I assured her that my prayers are with her daily - I hope she too would be conscious of God's presence in her life as she prepares for the examinations.

Oh yah, I have sent an email to the Worship Team. In it, I shared with them my thoughts for this Sunday's service. I am looking forward to a time of worship with them and may the Lord continue to prepare our hearts as we serve Him and His people.

Thanks be to God for this day!

"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control." Proverbs 25:28

"Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs." Proverbs 10:12

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

"Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else." 1 Thessalonians 5:15

No comments: