Sunday, October 21, 2007

Not Just Satisfying Own Needs But Others

I am drained!!! I guess I have just enough energy to finish up this blog and after that I am off to bed! I was out with the running gang having dinner. Sigh, over-ate again.

Anyway, I want to share something which I was prompted to do and I hope as you read it, you too will consider following what I did.

Have you ever been to a food court and noticed that some stalls are always packed with people queueing up to buy their food? Have you also observed some other stalls which are totally not patronised by any one and the poor vendor is just sitting there, staring into blank space?

The running gang and I went to Serangoon Gardens Food Centre for our meal and while I was considering desserts, I looked around the stalls available. I saw two dessert stalls and they were just one stall away from the other. As I have mentioned above, the one with the brighter signboard had a real long queue though the prices were more expensive; the other had a duller-coloured board - no queue and the poor lady in her late 50s was just sitting down, waiting for at least one person to buy something from her.

I decided to buy my dessert from the lady and I smiled at her as she was taking my order. She gave me a faint smile in return. When I asked her for the price, she said it was S$1.20. As I walked away with my bowl of ice-kacang (ice-shavings with red beans coated with multi-coloured syrups), I thanked her. I also realised her pricing is cheaper than the other stall.

The dessert was yummy and the serving was rather huge. As all of us prepared to leave the food centre after our hearty meal, I looked at the lady, waved her good-bye. She smiled and waved at me.

Now, why am I telling you about the above-mentioned? Basically to spark some thoughts. In this blessed island-nation called Singapore, every citizen is spoilt for choices for the vast varieties of food available. Yes, it is natural for every one to patronise those stalls or restaurants which are popular. Whereas those which are unheard of, we will avoid them at all cost.

Though what I am going to share may not sound fair or logical, I would like to send out this plea so that you may spare a thought for the vendors of these less popular food places. Ever considered that these people are merely trying to earn a living and if people like us do not help them, who would?

I know some of you probably have this thought - "If their food is not that wonderful, might as well just closed down! Why waste time?"

The above request may not be something we would normally do. I have to admit that myself but once a while, do help these persons. Their food may not be that great or there could be other reasons but let us also admit that it cannot be that bad to the point where it becomes inedible.

Your patronage may bring blessings and joy to these stall-holders and mind you, they are humans, yah? They too have feelings. Let us bring some cheers the next time we visit a food centre - not to our stomachs but to these individuals who are just trying to earn a living.

Alright, I believe you got the gist of it all. I shall not say further.

Today is the same as last Sunday regarding the activities I had to execute in church. The only thing is I was super-sleepy in the morning. I stayed up to watch the England-South Africa Rugby World Cup final at Clarke Quay and did not have sufficient rest when I got home. It was the lousiest final ever. Sigh.

Okie, my body battery has gone almost flat! Good night and a great week ahead to one and all!

"Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?" James 2:15

2 comments:

Cindy said...

hi,

If you ever want to go selegie for beancurd, do patronise the stall with red signboard. It will help to make their day! Their beancurd is on par with the next stall. Yummy =)

Pilgrim's Progress said...

Hi Cindy. I have noticed that shop. Yes, I will patronise them the next time I visit that area. :)