Thursday, October 04, 2007

Does God Allow Things To Happen For A Purpose?

An accident happened while I was at a cafe in town. I will not name the place. For those of you who read my blog regularly, it is not the usual Coffee Bean joints that I frequent while I was on my sabbatical.

Sometimes I wonder whether God allowed things to happen. I did not plan to buy a drink from this cafe but somehow I walked in and eventually bought an iced mocha for myself. This was after I had shopped for some stuff.

The place was crowded and my glass of mocha was at the edge of the table. There was a group of students having their drinks, sitting next to my left. One of them got up to do something. While she was squeezing through the little gap between my table and theirs, her butt tilted my table and the mocha fell right onto the floor. A lady in her mid-twenties was walking past at that point of time and she slipped on one of the ice cubes and her elbow had a nasty cut as a result of the fall.

It was bleeding quite a lot and I had to use my hankerchief to stop the blood flow. As I was adding pressure on her elbow, I felt something sharp. I realised a glass shard had pierced her. Thank God there was a clinic located next to the shopping centre. The manager of the cafe and I accompanied the lady to have her wound treated

The doctor examined her immediately. She managed to remove the piece of glass, which was the size of a ten-cent coin. Thank God the cut was not deep and there was no need for stitching. The General Practitioner applied this powder-like substance on the wound and bandaged the elbow up.

We waited to collect the medication and also had the lady's particulars taken down by the clinic assistant. I paid for the doctor's fees as I felt it was partly my fault to have placed the glass at the edge of the table. I also offered to accompany the lady home. I flagged a cab at a taxi-stand - thank God for all the kind souls who allowed us to jump queue when they saw the lady's bandaged elbow.

It did not take long before we reached her house. I shall not name the location as well. Her mum was quite shocked when she saw her daughter's injury but I assured her that everything will be alright. I had to give her an account of the accident. I decided not to stay too long as the young lady's clothes were stained by the spilled mocha and her blood and thought she should go wash up as soon as possible.

The mother offered to pay for the treatment but I declined. The injured lady thanked me for everything and I basically replied "Praise the Lord!" Haha. It was so automatic that I did not realise it until I walked out of the gate. I hope they did not find me weird for having said those three words. Anyway, they came out of my mouth because I really wanted to thank God all went well eventually.

There are two things that you probably might be curious about. One, was my hankerchief clean? The answer is "no." :( I used it once to dry my hands after I washed them during lunch-time. I know it is unhygienic but at that point when everything was so chaotic and seeing the blood, I had no choice. I did tell the doctor about it and she said it was alright. Of course, the young lady heard and I hope she did not mind, though it was already too late even if she did. Sigh.

Two, what happened to the student who knocked my table? She was tearing after seeing the mess she had created and her friends were equally shocked but composed enough to comfort their friend. She wanted to go along with us to the clinic but we told her there was no need to.

Anyway, back to the question of whether did God allow all these to happen? I guess so. Why? I do not know but throughout when I was dealing with the situation, I was praying and asking Him to help me. He did! One thought flowed to another till I left the lady's house. Of course there were some anxieties but throughout I was calm enough to handle the matter. It felt as if the Lord was there throughout to instruct me step by step.

Heh! Maybe next time when I hesitate to buy a drink as I pass a cafe, I should just walk on. The accident would not have happened if I had decided against the idea. The thought is just so puzzling still - that one's decision would affect an outcome.

Well, an eventful day definitely but before this fiasco, I was very tired (more sleepy actually). In the end I did stay up to watch the Liverpool vs Marseille match but it was a wrong move to do so. I was basically vomitting blood throughout the game. At one point I nearly became a prune as I was almost drained dry! I think next time if I ever want to watch another Liverpool match, I should go to the blood bank and purchase a few pints of blood first.

Anyway, thanks be to God for sustaining me through the day and giving me an adrenaline rush when I was placed at the accident scene.

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:26-27

No comments: