Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bat And Eagle

I tried to sleep early this morning but was unable to do so. I tossed and turned - in the end I was just staring at the ceiling. I think my mind was overly active to the point where I just could not switch off and enter into Slumberland.

There were so many things in my mind - family, work, ministries in church, my burdens for a few people, wedding coordinations for some friends, etc. My mind is always ever so active and when that happens, it is very hard for me to stop and rest. Of course with being physically and mentally drained lately, I need to slow down and recharge. Otherwise I will just faint literally.

Well, an interesting creature entertained my brother and I slightly past midnight. In fact, it scared us initially. A relatively big bat entered the flat and it almost flew into the room. As the living room was dark, each of us armed ourselves with a tennis racket before attempting to switch on the lights.

We could hear the flapping of the wings but could not see where exactly it was. I sure do not wish to be bitten by this creature of the night as I have been told bats carry rabies. Anyway, we moved slowly to the light switches. After turning on all the lights, it then flew to the kitchen which was dark. While my brother opened all the windows in the hall, I went to switch on the lights in the kitchen. I also opened the windows in that part of my home. The bat was flying frantically all over the place.

Funnily it did not hit anything at all - basically due to its ultrasonic ability. I hope I got the term right. A couple of times it came close to us but it was able to manoeuvre so well. Finally it decided enough was enough and flew out of the kitchen windows. It was a tiring 15 minutes as we had to duck here and there each time the bat dove at us. I basically used the tennis racket to cover my face. Haha. It was hilarious.

One spiritual lesson I learnt from the encounter with the bat is the usage of its ultrasonic ability to prevent itself from hitting an object and get injured as a result. It was a God-ability and it used it well.

Likewise in our daily walk, we should use our God-given ability to think and couple that with the Word (which was also freely given to us) to prevent us from going through life blindly. Hence protecting us from falling.

Thanks be to God for that reminder. I guess I need to hope in the Lord during this period of exhaustion and allow Him to renew my strength so that I can soar on wings like eagles.

Well, time to go.

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:29-31

No comments: