Saturday, October 13, 2007

Diligence in Service

I actually wrote a blog on Thursday but while I was about to finish it, suddenly the window disappeared and I could not salvage whatever I have typed. Sigh. I was too tired to re-write the whole thing. I basically switched off my computer and went to sleep.

I was also very drained yesterday - after having supper with some siblings-in-Christ along Upper Thomson Road, I came home, washed up and headed for Slumberland.

I guess today's account will be rather long.

First of all, I want to thank God for securing the air tickets for the Mission and Vacation-With-A-Purpose (VWAP) teams. On Wednesday, I shared about the anxieties I had but on Thursday morning, I received an email to inform me that the agency has reserved the tickets and they are for the intended period of travel. Hallelujah! Of course the prices are higher than usual but I had no choice but to have the agent confirmed the bookings for me. I requested for her to negotiate with SilkAir for a cheaper rate. Hopefully by Monday there will be more good news from the agency.

I also want to praise the Lord for guiding the Worship Team last night during our rehearsal. We tried a couple of new approaches to the practice. After our devotion, we did not jump straight to our instruments. We sat down further to discuss about each song in the list. A brother-in-Christ and I allocated tasks to each musician as to the whole dynamics of the song so that not all need to play at the same time but to stagger them accordingly. This is basically to allow variations to the whole feel of each song. I thought it was neater when that was done and every one knew what they needed to play rather than to guess when they should come in.

We also made a conscious effort to do a sound-check of each instrument first before starting. Again this helped in ways where it minimised distractions in the course of the whole rehearsal and also to help us be more sensitive to each other as we play.

Before the session started, I came to church earlier to prepare and there was this sense of anxiety that the session would be chaotic as had happened before during past practices. I took some time praying about this and told the Lord to help me and also the team. Well, truly He answered my prayer and all went pretty well. I need not even use a stand-by song because the drummer was able to play the intended song though it was quite challenging due to the drumming sequence. I praise the Lord for this brother-in-Christ. He is preparing for his 'O' level exams and yet, he made an effort to practice on his own before the session.

I was quite disappointed with the team in one aspect though. Earlier this week after I have chosen the song, I took the effort to write to the team why I chose the songs and how I would like the flow to be. I thought that would help every one in their preparations. I even went all out to find the MP3 files for the songs that we are going to sing and have them sent to the members. Yesterday when I asked them whether they have listened to the songs especially the new ones and whether they have read my emails, a couple of them indicated that they have not done so. It is painful because the practice would have been more effective if all had done their part in preparing as that would also minimise time-wastage during the rehearsal.

Though I was affected, I channelled it to the Lord and prayed that one day, every member in the Worship Team will be diligent enough to prepare beforehand so that we are all of one heart and mind as we come together. It is no doubt that many are busy with other commitments in their lives but if we have decided to serve the Lord in this area, I think it is our responsibility also to at least set aside time to read the emails and listen to the songs.

I decided to include the above-mentioned not with the motive of wanting others to appreciate the effort I took but to sound off the need to prepare before we serve.

Well, I guess we are all learning. May the Lord be our help.

Oh yah, I am so happy for two siblings-in-Christ. I was their Wedding Coordinator a few years back and yesterday one of them announced to me that they are expecting their first child in a couple of months' time. I give thanks to God for that and shall wait in anticipation the arrival of their little one.

I have to end here as I need to go to a Malay friend's place for lunch. Today is the first day of the Muslims' calendar where they mark the end of their one month of fasting.

Have a wonderful and restful weekend, every one! :)

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

No comments: