Thursday, January 31, 2008

Practice What We Preach!

I went again to look for the mother and child but to no avail. I am thankful to a few of my friends who read my blogs and have volunteered to keep a look-out for them. I appreciate your partnership in this - hopefully we will be able to locate them one day. Even if we cannot, I shall trust that God is taking good care of them and providing for their needs.

Today has been a long day. I was carrying out my reservist duty from morning till around 3pm. After that I went to look for the lady and her daughter. When that failed, I proceeded to Forum Galleria Shopping Centre's Spinelli Cafe to prepare for the praise and worship session this Sunday.

Though it was a public place, I was able to have a great time of fellowship with God in prayer, in reading His Word and also in singing praises (softly, that is). It got a bit loud and this lady who sat next to my table turned and wondered what I was doing - probably she might think that I am a Singapore Idol hopeful. Haha. I resorted to humming but I could see the words flashing in my mind. :)

I was unable to complete the preparation but no matter what, I am thankful to God for guiding me through the two hours I spent alone with Him.

I met two of my siblings-in-Christ at 7pm to discuss with them their wedding preparations. I had a great time of fellowship with them especially knowing one of them better since I always see her in church but hardly get the chance to speak to her. It was a fruitful session as I got all the information needed to kickstart the planning. It was also a Q&A session and I praise the Lord I was able to answer most of their queries.

We ended at around 8:30pm. I headed next to Plaza Singapura to meet another couple, also to discuss about their wedding which will be held in the middle of next month. Tonight was the final meeting with them before their big day. I am also thankful to God that all went well in our planning and I look forward to serving them on 17 February.

Two meetings in a span of three hours can be exhausting mentally but I am glad the Lord pulled me through.

This afternoon during lunch I caught a student in uniform smoking. I called him aside and asked why he was doing something which he knew was illegal and harmful. He had two other friends with him but I told them to stand aside.

He said he learnt smoking from his father and that the cigarettes he had on him was from his dad as well. Of course he took them without his knowledge. I do not know whether he was bored with the advice I gave him but I went on whether he liked it or not because I wanted him to know that I cared. Before I let him go, I asked him to take out his cigarette pack, crushed every stick and throw them away in the dustbin, along with the lighter.

He apologised and went on with his friends.

What saddened my heart and bothered me was the part about his father's influence. This reminded me that as adults, we need to set a good example to those who are younger. Yes, it may be a habit on the boy's father to smoke but if he does not want his son to follow his footsteps, he should for his son's sake, try to quit. I say this because in my encounter with youths who smoke, they have told me countless times that their parents (who are puffers themselves) do not want them to take up the habit but mere words will not solve the problem. The parents have to act upon it in order for their children to see the effect of their advice.

I hope I make sense. The above example about smoking is just one of many. We have to practice what we preach and I am measuring this in my own life too.

I remembered my Assistant Pastor telling the Youth Ministry Mentors (YMMs) in the dinner we had last Saturday - that they need to live out the lessons they are teaching the youths. If these young souls do not see us doing them, they themselves will not practise what they have been taught. How true that is! I guess this is one area that many of us have failed and it is my prayer that we will be doers of the Word and not just hearers.

Well, food for thought. Thanks be to God for this day!

"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." John 13:14-15

"Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us." Titus 2:6-8

No comments: