Sunday, January 27, 2008

Show No Favourtism!

I have to serve a two-week reservist stint, commencing tomorrow. Well, I am looking forward to it as it is also a time to meet my friends who have been serving alongside me since the day we did our National Service together.

I have to wake up very early but before I sleep, I thought I just jot my thoughts down first.

This morning's sermon by my Assistant Pastor has caused me to reflect on my impression of people in general. His message was on "Favouritism" and he challenged the congregation to go against the teachings of discrimination, pride and prejudice. All these evil practices can happen in the church, in school, in the office or even at home.

I know I am guilty of this, though many (including me) have used excuses like that of every one not being able to get along with another, etc.

I have been discriminated by others before - for being horizontally challenged, for having receding hairline, for being too old, etc. It is a lousy feeling to be judged and ostracised by others. If I am feeling that way then I should not do it to others because they too will get hurt.

I guess today's message has opened my eyes to be more sensitive in the way I treat others. As I was pondering on this topic throughout the day, I also learnt that if I see others in a negative light, I am actually telling God that His creation is not perfect. How can this be when every human being is created in His image? If a perfect God is the Creator of the world, surely His creation is perfect and who am I as one of His creation to think otherwise?!

Well, the message served as a warning to me and it is my prayer that I will see others with the eyes of God and love every one with the same love God has given to all mankind. Not easy, I have to admit but if I do not start practising it then I will always be in my wayward self.

I hope the Lord will give me more insights to the above-mentioned. :)

I want to give thanks to God for guiding me in my drumming. When the Worship Team met up an hour earlier before the service commenced for our rehearsal, I was able to get the drumming sequence for the song I struggled badly with on Friday. Thanks be to God!

It was quite funny when I was playing the first song which had a fast tempo. In the midst of doing a roll, one of my drum-sticks flew out of my hand. I had to frantically grab another by the side of the drum-set and carried on from where I left off. Praise the Lord I was able to keep to the beat and rejoin the rest. Haha.

Well, I know God would hear my prayers and those who have prayed for me. I enjoyed the time of praise though I have to admit it was really tiring.

I guess I shall share till here.

Have a blessed week, everyone! :)

My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to whom you belong? If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!" James 2:1-13

No comments: