Saturday, January 12, 2008

God Is The Audience

It has been a super long and tiring day for me - physically, that is. Spiritually I was refreshed from a Worship Leaders' Training Workshop that I attended from 8:30am to 6pm at Serangoon Gardens Country Club.

A few days I informed the band leader and a few members of the Worship and Music Committee that I have decided to step down from drumming from April onwards. The reason is basically to concentrate on my primary ministry which is the Missions Committee. I also want to pay more attention to the Youth Ministry. Of course there were other factors involved: workload in office; spending time with my family; and also to have some time for myself.

I will still remain as a Worship Leader though. Today's seminar has excited me in this ministry that I have been serving for over 15 years already.

We were challenged by the trainer to think out of the box and also to be creative in leading worship. Of course we were also reminded of the fundamentals of this service: that first of all I have to be a worshipper myself; that I need to maintain my relationship with God; that I need to be more interested in the concerns of the church; that I need to pray and seek the Lord as to how He can use me to touch the lives of some members of the congregation, having this understanding that I can never reach out to all; that in preparation, I should not just go through the motion but to really ask God where He wants to me to go and what to do for that Sunday's worship service.

The one thing that I always like concerning worship is this - that God is the audience, the congregation are the actors/actresses and that Worship Leaders are prompters. How true that is! The sad thing is we always tend to mix a few things up - many times, God becomes the prompter, the congregation the audience and the Worship Leaders as the actors/actresses.

Thinking out of the box is something new to me. As a Worship Leader, I was warned I should not be contented with the norms and standard operation procedures of the ministry. Instead I need to continue to consult God what is the one thing, at least, that I can suggest or do which will leave a lasting impression in the lives of the congregation so that they too will break from the routine of each Sunday's worship.

I spoke to the Lord and ask of Him to open my heart and mind so that I know what other things I can do for Him and His people. I am excited as to what He will be teaching me in this new year with regards to the Worship and Music Ministry.

Well, I came back not too long ago from a brother-in-Christ's 21st Birthday Party. We had a good time of fellowship over food. I decided to go home early as my energy level has dipped to almost zero.

Thanks be to God for an eventful and fruitful day!

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." John 4:23-24

No comments: