Saturday, January 19, 2008

Be A Bridge-Builder!

My doggy just swallowed one of mum's gold earrings. It is not small and one end of it is sharp. I am concerned that it will not be passed out. I pray the sharp end will not puncture her intestines. Sigh. Well, I cannot do much until later in the morning to see whether the earring is in the stools.

Anyway, I came back not too long ago after going out with two brothers-in-Christ to a restaurant where one of the youths is working in. We basically had smoothies and finger food. We fellowshipped as we ate and drank. Though this was not planned since it was only decided after the Worship Team rehearsal for me and the Youth Ministry jamming for my two siblings-in-Christ, we had fun chatting.

Yesterday when I had lunch with my colleagues, one of them asked whether I feel out of place whenever I am with the youths in my church. She knows that I am involved with the Youth Ministry and asked whether there is a generation gap between us.

Well, frankly I do not really sense the gap as I have been actively bridging it. This generation gap that seems to be evident everywhere is the cause and fault of both the young and the old. If both could just make an effort to bridge it, then this term can be taken permanently out of the thoughts of every single person alive on this earth.

I always hear of one party blaming another for this gap. To me it takes two hands to clap and I feel both the young and old must make the effort to understand each other better. Yes, it will take time and energy but it is at least better than not doing anything at all - thus causing the chasm between both parties to widen, which I must warn is rampant.

I am not saying that I feel totally easy when I am with the youths (sometimes I do ask why I am doing it and I have no qualms sharing this) but I cannot let this awkwardness stop me from networking with them; from interacting with them; from letting them know that I am there for them anytime, anywhere and in whatever situation they may be in. I have done and will continue to do my part as an adult and as a brother-in-Christ, in the context of the church that is. The ball now rest on the side of the youths' court to see whether they want to be opened to me or not. Of course it is my prayer they will.

In my growing up years, I have adults, who have given their all to bridge the gap, ministered to me and I saw how it worked effectively and successfully. Now I am doing likewise and hope next time, as the youths grow up, they too will do the same.

My plea to both the young and the old is this - just take the first step and then the second and then the third... slowly the gap will close up and that is when there will be an engagement of sorts between both parties.

There is a need to act upon this NOW! If not, values will be diluted and relationships soured; some lives destroyed and many disillusioned. Please put aside pride and clothe humility and grace - start working on building bridges and experience the joys of walking with one another in our lives' journeys!

Even God has done His part to draw His people close to Him. If He has not stopped doing so, why should we? Let us all be instruments of God's peace to one another - the old can teach the young; the old can also learn from them.

Let us take on another occupation - let us all be Bridge-Builders!

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

No comments: