Saturday, January 05, 2008

Life Of Worship, Not Strife

I had an interesting conversation with a friend, who called to ask how I was doing, after she found out from the blog that I was unwell. In the course of our conversation, she made a couple of frank remarks in relation to what I blogged this morning while I was at the airport.

She asked me three questions: first one was "Andy, why is it that you do not want to take credit for yourself about the successful request in the approval of the excess baggage for your friend but instead you thank God for it? The second and third questions were "Why is it, even in things like excess baggage, that you prayed and asked God to help you? Couldn't you have just done it yourself without even asking God to help?

Well, my answer to her was this - since the day I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, this life I live, I do not go through it alone anymore but instead I see it as the Lord walking alongside me. As I know my human ability would fail me, the only source of help I can truly depend on is God Himself. Hence, even in small things like asking Him to help my friend in overcoming the excess baggage issue is a natural thing I would now do.

I could have done it myself, that's true, but the results may be different from that of God helping me. Even if I did not pray and the results turned out to be the same, credit would still go to my God Almighty as I believe He will always be there to help me even when I do not ask. The fact that I asked is basically an affirmation and assurance of my trust in the Lord. It has become a relationship that it is now natural that I speak to Him about anything and everything concerning my life and around it.

That is why at the end of the day all glory and thanks be to God because He knows what is best for me and He will provide for me accordingly in all that I asked for.

In some of the Christmas cards I wrote to my friends last year, I remembered this phrase - "Always put God first in all you do so that your life is one filled with worship and not strife." Really, if God is omni-present (always present), why not tap on this resource instead of putting our lives through hell by using our wisdom to deal with the everyday issues of life.

I have learnt over the years and still need reminders at times about this one vital point of life - many of our frustrations, anger and disappointments could have been avoided if we could just trust God a little more. Many times we find life unfair or cruel because we deal with the issues according to our understanding and wisdom. And when that happens, instead of blaming ourselves, we accuse God of being a lousy Friend.

Let us make Jesus our companion in our pilgrim's journey - it makes our lives all the more exciting and our burdens lighter.

To God be the glory!

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." James 1:5-8

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." James 3:13-18

No comments: