Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Tea-Bag Test

This morning's sermon is so true of what I am going through at the moment and I thank God for the reminder of how I should deal with my situation.

Last week, my digital SLR camera that I have been using for the past four years stopped working altogether when I changed the lens; last night when I turned on my computer after coming home from dinner with two siblings-in-Christ and their child, it did not boot up; I am still unwell - my nose so blocked that I have to breathe through my mouth; my throat hurts each time I swallow something; my chest is so congested with my constant coughing and it is just so hard to remove the phlegm.

When my computer refused to work, thankfully and surprisingly I was calm. Over the past four years or so, I have changed two motherboards and I guess I have learnt not to let all these glitches get the better of me. If it does not work, then so be it. Why be bothered by it? Yes, I probably will have to spend a considerable amount of money to replace the set but that is part and parcel of owning a technology. Breakdown will bound to happen and I must not let this inconvenience affect me.

Anyway, I tinkled with the parts last night - initially it worked for a while and after that, died again. The fact that I can blog now is because earlier I scrutinised the whole computer again and it seems to be functioning fine. I shall see how long it will last. I suspect the silicon compound protecting the processor from overheating has dried up. Well, I shall see tomorrow whether the computer shop in campus sells the cooling substance. Hopefully it does so that I need not make a trip to Sim Lim Square or Funan Centre to buy that one small tube of coolant.

Though the sick machine did not really bother me, I must confess that my sick body does. The fact that I have to lead the 11:15am service this coming Sunday is causing me to worry whether I am able to sing by Friday.

As mentioned earlier, my Senior Pastor reminded the congregation that trials faced by Christians should not be something bad. Every child of God should accept struggles as a building process and that we should always be thankful for them. Yes, the experience is not totally something that one would look forward to but if dealt with properly, the character of the person will be strengthened.

She said that a Christian going through trials is like a tea-bag - one will never know what is in the bag until it is placed in hot water. How true that is! Trial is a time for Christians to understand themselves better.

Well, so far so good for the computer.

I shall end here for now before something happens to it again. Haha.

Let us, during this new year, welcome trials with open arms. Allow God to work in and through us as we struggle through our pilgrim's journey. If God is for us, who can be against us? A big AMEN to that! :)

Have a blessed week everyone!

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

2 comments:

Talion said...

Hey brother, I will say a prayer for you yeah. God bless and take care. Get well soon. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Pilgrim's Progress said...

Thank you for your prayers, talion. May I know your real name please? :)