Sunday, January 20, 2008

Be God's Instrument Of Peace

I came back not too long ago from dinner with the MacRitchie Running Fellowship (MRF) members. I was unable to join them last Sunday and yesterday for dinner so I decided to make time to catch up with them just now. We went to Novena Square 2 Food Court for our meals.

I thank God for pulling me through this day especially in the morning when I was involved in a couple of ministries. I joined the youths for the Youth Ministry session. After that I went for the Worship Team rehearsal. I was quite anxious when the team was still figuring out how certain songs were to be played though it was just half an hour away from the service.

I spent some time in prayer asking God to help us and as always, God never failed in answering my cries. Everything went as well as it could. All glory and praise to God.

The preacher today touched mainly on James 1:26-27 and I was challenged to make a difference in at least one person's life daily. From the passage, the speaker urged the congregation to live out the three "Be's" - Be Peaceable (always bringing God's peace to the people around and of course the main thing is not to find fault with our neighbours); Be Present (always ready to render help to those in need); Be God's People (always living out the kind of life that God wants us to live and not be poisoned by the teachings of the world).

Even as I type now, I just received a message from a Cambodian pastor whose church is being supported by mine. He shared with me how his wife just went for an appendicitis surgery and how he had to pay for the operation and also the purchase of milk powder for his 3 1/2-month old son. All these cost a lot in Cambodia and I am trying my best now to see how we can help him financially. For now, I pray the Lord will protect his wife and son and also provide for this dear Khmer brother-in-Christ.

I guess it is important to look beyond our needs especially for us Singaporeans. Yes, I cannot deny that there are some who are poor even in this affluent island-nation but for the majority who are richly blest, we still complain that we have not enough - basically never contented! Can you imagine that?!

I know this may not be right for me to say but I will still state the point - I guess it is only in experiencing poverty will our eyes then be opened to see how blest we are. For those who read my blog-site, please tell me whether this sentence makes sense. I am also trying to grasp what I just stated.

Anyway, when I led the congregation in singing the closing song, the words just hit me hard and my heart was moved (refer to the end of my blog for the lyrics). I think it is time for us, Christians, to start behaving like one and truly live our lives in a manner where others can see Christ in us.

I do not know about you but the two verses from James 1 basically touched on the essence of Christian living and if all of God's children are able to practise this lifestyle, many lives can be touched and transformed. When we see other people's needs being met, I guess ours will just pale in comparison. I guess it will also cause us to be more thankful instead of always complaining because then we realise that our daily living is not just about meeting our own needs and desires but others as well and mind you, theirs may be real and more serious!

I hope I make sense in what I have written so far.

Before I go, I want to share a testimony regarding an encounter with an elderly man in the bus. I was in bus service 16 yesterday heading toward Suntec City. It was crowded and along the way, this man boarded. I did not notice him as my seat was positioned in such a way where it faced away from the entrance. Anyway, when I took notice of this elderly gentleman, I offered my seat and he thanked me for it. A conversation sparked off between us. He shared that he is 65 years of age, now working as a cleaner. He was grateful that I gave my seat up for him as he was tired after a long day of work. He looked and sounded exhausted as he spoke. We did not talk for long as I needed to alight at my destination. Just before we ended our chat, I basically wished him well. What I said next was something I never imagined saying it to a total stranger. I told him I would pray for Jesus to refresh his body as he went back to rest. He smiled and shook my hand. We departed. I do not know when will I ever be able to see him again - may God's peace be with him, I pray.

I am not trying to boast about what I did but this is one example where when one deliberately does something for someone will he then know the needs of that person he is reaching out to. If I had ignored that elderly man, I would not have known that he was struggling physically. At least now I can do my bit by praying for him and I know God will meet all of his needs!

Well, before I go, here are the lyrics as promised...

Instruments of Peace

Chorus:
Lord make us instruments of Your peace;
where there is hatred, let Your love increase.
Lord, make us instruments of Your peace;
walls of pride and prejudice shall cease
when we are Your instruments of peace

Verse 1:
Where there is hatred, we will sow His love;
where there is darkness, we will shine His light.
Where there is striving, we will speak His peace
to the people crying for release;
we will be His instruments of peace.

Verse 2:
Where there is blindness, we will pray for sight;
where there is darkness, we will shine His light!
Where there is sadness, we will bear their grief
to the millions crying for release;
we will be His instruments of peace.

"If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:26-27

No comments: