Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Destination - Heaven; Transit - Earth

I just came back not too long ago from the wedding banquet. Thank God all went well. I was not feeling too well actually. I have been sniffing the whole day. On top of that, I still did not have enough rest. This affected my mood a little - hence I was not really in a talkative mode throughout the day.

I have done many wedding coordinations and I enjoyed every one of them. I cannot deny though that they are physically and mentally draining. Every time I am done with one, I would go home so tired that it would take a while for me to recover. I guess it is the pressure of wanting to execute everything well so that the couple and their families would be happy and enjoy the special day that made me so exhausted.

I am glad there is a one month break before I have two more wedding coordinations to do in the month of February.

Anyway, it is now the second day of the new year, 2008. Wow! Yet another year has come! I attended the Watchnight Service on New Year's Eve to reflect on the old year of 2007 and also took the opportunity to renew my convenant with the Lord - pressing on to live a life of holiness and godliness, pleasing in His eyes.

I will share more about my evaluation for 2007 and my thoughts for 2008 soon in my subsequent blogs. One thing that struck me most at the service was the lyrics of this song by Don Moen which really hit me when I listened to it being played after the service was over. These are the words...

When It's All Been Said And Done

Verse:
When it's all been said and done,
there is just one thing that matters -
Did I do my best to live the truth?
Did I live my life for You?
When it's all been said and done,
all my treasures will mean nothing.
Only what I've done for Love's reward
will stand the test of time.

Chorus:
Lord, Your mercy is so great
that You look beyond our weakness
and find purest gold in miry clay,
turning sinners into saints.
I will always sing Your praise -
Here on earth and ever after.
For You've shown me Heaven's my true home
when it's all been said and done.
You're my life when life is gone.

Simple words and yet so powerful. This song has one lesson and it should always be the focus of every Christian - that our lives here on earth is but a transit. Our destination is heaven.

If we can all just keep this in mind, then all the worries and pain and disappointments and anger we experience almost everyday - anything at all does not matter. Yes, they do affect us but they should not overtake us! All these will but one day be history and the future will be about spending with God in eternity.

Instead of always being put down by the struggles of life, why not consider what we can do for the Lord while we are in transit? Let us live for the truth and for Christ and through all these, may others see God in us and turn their lives to Him.

Sometimes Christians find it very difficult to share about their faith - I can confidently say that this struggle is simply because we do not live out the kind of lives that God wants us to. Others will naturally be drawn to us when we walk the talk; when we go against the norms of this world; when we stand up for righteousness and stand against what is evil!

I have seen the power of walking consistently with the Lord and also the weakness of stagnating. Between the two I will anytime choose the former and it has been a joy!

Well, when it's all been said and done, the Lord will always be my life when life is done!

"To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

No comments: