Sunday, December 30, 2007

Eros + Phileo + Agape Love = Successful Marriage

I am very tired now. I was unable to blog yesterday as I had to coordinate a wedding till past midnight. Then today I have to do another one which ended in the evening at around 6pm. The banquet will be held on New Year's Day evening.

It is no joke having to deal with two major events back-to-back. Well, thank God all went fine for both. All glory to Him. :) I had jitters for both but God has been good to have guided me through them all.

I pray the couples and their families enjoyed themselves and I also hope they were pleased with the services rendered. It was truly an honour and a joy to have served both families. Hallelujah!

Though I had to run around doing things throughout, I am glad that I also learnt more about love and marriage.

The couple I served yesterday did not see the potential of the both of them coming together when some friends tried to matchmake them. As time goes by though, they began to be attracted to one another and from there the relationship develops. I praise the Lord that now they are one as husband and wife. I was reminded that love can still attract even though one party may be different from the other. What matters is the binding factor which is God Himself.

Today's exhortation truly sums it all. There are three kinds of love - Eros, Phileo and Agape. Though God created man and women to experience erotic (Eros) love as in sexual love, there need to have the Phileo love where both parties are attracted to one another. But attraction itself cannot last. What binds both parties together is the Agape love - God's love basically. When these three types of love are put in action, the bond in the couple will never be broken because it is a holistic kind of relationship. Many marriages have failed simply because one of these love was missing or not practised.

Well, I am not in a relationship currently. If it is God's will, maybe someday I would love to put these lessons I have learnt into action.

It is always so interesting that whenever I coordinate a wedding that either the parents of the couple or elderly members of the church would ask whether I am married or attached. When I told them I am not, they would tell me to press on and not give up. Hee.

The experience in planning the entire process of yesterday's wedding has been quite funny as I was nudged by a few friends to consider someone they think may be a potential for me. Of course I was flattered. Haha. But I guess going into a relationship is not about just succumbing to these nudges but to consider where and how God is leading both parties. Frankly I do not know where this is leading to but I shall let God lead and guide me accordingly. Even if I were to make a move, it has to depend whether the other party will reciprocate. Hee.

No matter what, even at the end of the day if the Lord wants me to remain single, then thanks be to Him. Life goes on and I will still serve my God Almighty and His people with the love He has taught me to put into action.

It has been an eventful weekend for me. I shall sleep soon. I have this feeling I am going to fall sick - maybe because I did not have enough rest that I am sniffing now. I guess I shall see how tomorrow after waking up. I have also popped two Vitamin C tablets. Hope they would increase my immunity. Haha.

Time to go! Good night!

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality." Romans 12:9-13
(Passage for yesterday's wedding service)

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." 1 John 4:7-12
(Passage for today's wedding service)

No comments: