Friday, December 21, 2007

God Still Talks To His Children Daily

I am tempted to go and sleep now but I shall endeavour to finish writing this blog first before heading for Slumberland. I want to write my thoughts down now as there are a couple of things to share after going through this day.

I was with my Accountability Group this morning. We met at 7am and we headed for Maxwell Road market for breakfast as one of my brothers-in-Christ needed to be in office early for a planning meeting. His workplace was closed to the hawker centre.

While we were eating and fellowshipping, one elderly person came by to clear some plates on our table. We all thought that the individual was a lady so we basically thanked her for her effort. It was the reply that made us realised that we had mistaken the person's gender. He is actually a man but small-built.

Anyway, we continued with our sharing. Though I was listening to the accounts given by my brothers-in-Christ on their lives lately, there were thoughts running in my mind about the man we encountered.

I was led to buy some bread for him as an apology for having mistaken him for a lady earlier. I told the group I needed to do that and went on to purchase them. I went to the elderly gentleman and passed him the buns. I also apologised for the boo-boo made. He smiled to thank me and also to tell me it was alright.

I felt better after that. I needed to do the above act as I did not want to affect the man by our remarks made initially. It is easy to shrug it off and take it as if nothing serious happened but I felt that the mistaken identity we had of the uncle may have affected him to wonder why he was created to look like a lady and I believe there are others who might have also made the same mistake.

By the mere fact that I called him, "Uncle" was to also affirm in him his identity. Well, I am glad all went fine after that. Thanks be to God!

In the course of the group's sharing, there were two main topics being brought to our attention: one - what is God's calling in our lives? Two - how can we hear God in our daily living?

I do not have the theological answers to the above-mentioned but just this one year of learning to practise God's presence in my life, I know His general call for all Christians is firstly, to live a life of godliness and holiness and secondly, to make disciples of all nations.

We always tend to find our lives a little mundane especially when we keep going through the same motion as in the area of our work or study and then home and then sleep. The cycle goes on and on and on. When this happens, we begin to question what life is about or what God is trying to do with our lives. Doubts begin to fill us and there may also be a sense of anger against Him.

I guess what breaks all these is how we press on to let God transform our lives accordingly. In order to do so, we cannot let the vicious cycle of life to control us.

For the past many years as a Christian, I found my walk boring but this year itself when I told myself I want to make a difference in the lives of those I encounter daily, I realised going through each day can be exciting and fruitful. Frankly I now look forward to every brand new day as I know I will experience something or someone different.

I know the above two callings cannot really go that wrong because everything else revolves around them. Perhaps in answering to these two generic callings, God may lead different individual to a more specific direction but still not going off course in these two areas.

I hope I make sense. As for listening to God's voice, I cannot discount that He can do so audibly but there are definitely other ways He speaks to us - His Word; prayer; silent retreat; siblings-in-Christ; sermons; admiring His creation; serving Him and His people; trials; celebration; etc.

Well, I am glad the Accountability Group touched on these topics as they allowed us to evaluate where does God stand in our lives.

I guess that is all I want to share - with these precious reminders and lessons learnt, I cannot leave these thoughts till tomorrow.

Friends, God still talks to His Children daily but the question is - are they listening? Many times we fail to because we let voices of frustration, anger, disappointment and accusation block us from knowing what our Father in heaven wants us to do. It is sad that many times, the voice of the devil is louder than that of God's. It is up to us how we can let God be more audible in our lives.

Glory to God!

"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." 1 Peter 2:11-12

"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." 1 Peter 1:15

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time." 1 Timothy 2:1-6

No comments: