Thursday, December 20, 2007

Every Act Counts

Last night I was out with more than 15 of my siblings-in-Christ to Timbre where this local band called EIC was performing. I must say that they are a really good team of musicians as I enjoyed every song they played. I was observing the drummer as one can learn a lot from another just by the drumming sequence.

The place served alcoholic drinks. Though I did not mind having a drink or two, I decided not to order any yesterday as there was a brother-in-Christ who is under the age of 18. Instead I ordered a mocktail. He was tempted to get a mug of beer himself but a few of us forbade him from doing so as it was against the law.

I did not stay all the way with them as I was quite tired and wanted to go home and rest. Well, rest I did. After washing up I slept but I woke up at 3:40 this morning to watch the Chelsea - Liverpool Carling Cup Quater-Final match. Well, it was one of the worst matches that the Reds have played. They lost 2 - 0 and one of the players, Peter Crouch, was sent off for a two-footed foul. I do not know what he was thinking when he did that.

Anyway, I went back to sleep after the second goal was scored. I would rather sleep than to get frustrated with a club which had a rich history in winning trophies to play so badly. I doubt they will ever return to their former glory which for more than 10 years they have been bragging that they would make a come-back some days.

I went out to have brunch with my parents. We had a good meal of dim-sum and also catching up with one another. We did a bit of Christmas shopping where I got a couple of stuff for them. By the way, talking about Christmas gifts, I am not buying any for friends this year as it is a practice for me on alternate years that I give whatever amount I would be spending on gifts to people who are in need. I am not sharing this to boast about my giving but for us to consider those who are hungry and struggling while many are feasting and celebrating. I guess celebration can be in the form of sharing blessings with those who really need some and not to those who already have enough.

I was planning to go home and do some preparations for my friends' weddings next week but when a couple of youths called to ask me to join them for a game of pool, I decided to meet them. Though there were only three of them, I thank God for the time spent together. I got to know a brother-in-Christ in the process.

Talk about getting to know a person - after I was done shopping with my parents, they went on with their other errands while I went to Sim Lim Square to buy a phone-pouch. As I was taking a bus to a MRT station to grab the train to Ang Mo Kio Hub to meet my brothers-in-Christ, I got to know briefly a young woman. She was on the phone while boarding the bus - as I noticed she did not tap her card properly as there was a error-message, I informed her about it when she was done with her conversation. She went to have it re-tapped and I was right. In the end we started talking to one another in the short bus-ride. Well, glad to have known the person.

Well, I guess that is all. Thanks be to God for a fruitful and foodful public holiday commemorating Hari Raya Haji - the celebration of the conclusion of the Haj pilgrimage to Mecca, at which pilgrims are given the title of Haji (for men) or Hajjah (for women). Goats or buffaloes are sacrificed and the meat distributed to the poor.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God — even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved." 1 Corinthians 10-31-33

"Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality." Romans 12:13

No comments: