Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Do Not Become Poorer to Get Richer

I actually had plans to travel this month but I have to shelf the idea due to work and ministry commitments. I really have no idea when I can plan my next trip - I guess I shall wait for the next window of opportunity and hopefully I will be able to go somewhere then.

I am thankful to God that I was able to come home early from work this afternoon after my team went to Sentosa to meet some people. We managed to secure a verbal agreement for a joint programme and hopefully a Memorandum of Understanding would be signed soon to officially seal the deal.

I had the best sleep ever. I cannot use the word "nap" because I was in dreamland for close to two hours. When I woke up, it felt good - so good to the point where I decided to go town and shop for some shirts but to my disappointment, I could not find what I wanted. For those that caught my eyes, I was unable to get the size I wanted. Anyway, thanks be to God that I did not manage to spend any money this evening.

One of the shopping centres I went to was Centrepoint. As I was walking towards the mall, I had to pass two makeshift stalls where the Big Sweep tickets were being sold. Apparently the draw is tomorrow and the vendors were shouting towards my direction, asking me to buy some tickets. One of them even told me not to miss the chance to get rich and that my lucky stars are shining brightly.

He was flashing this envelop in front of my face which contained 5 tickets and told me it was only $15. I was just wondering to myself - how can one be richer when he actually becomes $15 poorer buying 5 pieces of papers that give a very low probability of striking it rich? $15 may not mean a lot to many in Singapore but it may be for some who cannot even afford a simple meal.

Just imagine the same sales pitch is used on someone who is actually hard-pressed for money and in turn used whatever he has to buy the lottery slips, thinking that his "lucky stars" are really shining. The draw opens; he checked the numbers of his tickets against those printed on the newspapers and realised he did not strike any. Instead of becoming richer, he became poorer and now he has no more money to buy food to feed himself. Who became richer? The company that sells the Big Sweep tickets. Yes, the first prize is $2.2 millions - I doubt every month there is a winner because not all tickets are sold completely just before the draw date. Even if there is a winner, the company makes no loss because all they need to do is to sell $2,200,000 divide by $3 (price of each ticket) equals to 733,333 pieces of papers which probably does not cost much to print.

Anyway, just sharing my heart out since I had this encounter earlier.

Well, I am looking forward to Thursday where I will be with my younger siblings-in-Christ at the Youth Camp. I am looking forward to a great time of fellowship with them and of course, fun!

Tomorrow should be quite an easy-going day with only one meeting in the morning.

I hate to say this but I shall go and sleep soon!

"Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint." Proverbs 23:4

"People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:9-10

No comments: