Saturday, May 02, 2009

Think Possibilities; Think God

In a period of two days, I have been to two different Accident & Emergency (A&E) Departments - one in Changi General Hospital (GCH) last night and the other in Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) this afternoon. Both visits were to bring mum for immediate treatment - last night, she felt giddy and nauseous at a friend's house and this afternoon she experienced breathlessness and weakness of her body.

Her friends decided to send her to GCH as they were all in the East. Dad and I were notified about mum's condition and we rushed over to the hospital. The doctor did not see the need to admit mum after examining her. After about 4 hours of observation, we brought mum home. By the time it was already past 2.00am.

She looked okay this morning when I left the house but at around two plus in the afternoon when I was leaving my good friend's son's first-month party, I got a call from home informing me that an ambulance has been called to bring mum to the hospital.

My sister, who was with me when I received the call from my cousin, fetched me home. By the time we arrived, the ambulance has left already. I quickly dumped my bag at home and my sister and I tailed the ambulance to the A&E Department. She left with her sister and niece while I accompanied dad who went with the ambulance.

Due to the Influenza A (H1N1) flu, the hospital implemented a one-visitor-per-patient rule. I decided to let dad accompany mum while I waited at the holding area. Never did I know that I had to wait for more than 6 hours for the doctor to observe mum's condition.

I was bored to death. To break that boredom, occasionally I would walk around the hospital compound; visit the foodcourt to buy myself a drink; and stand outside the holding area to observe the number of ambulances bringing sick individuals or accident patients.

It was sad to see some serious cases where the medical staff had to rush the patients to the treatment room. I also concluded that it is not safe to ride a motor-bike in Singapore. The number of accident victims brought in were motorcyclists.

I also witnessed a trolley transporting a dead body to the mortuary. It was covered with a canvas sheet.

The above-mentioned brought to mind mum's condition. As I kept thinking about it, anger began to build up from within me. I was angry with mum for not taking her evening dosage of medicine regularly; for not bringing the insulin with her when she goes out; for not controlling her diet in the past one week as she had for two buffet-dinner appointments to celebrate her birthday with friends; for quarrelling with grandma over petty stuff (which definitely added to the stress in her).

Of course I was angry with grandma too for also picking fights with mum and then go on a cold-war for a few days. Now that mum is unwell, grandma gets worried.

The frustration then leads on to dad for not controlling mum's diet even after I made it clear to all at home that mum needs to watch what she eats; for his habit of drinking fizzy drinks which contain lots of sugar.

The above last three paragraphs were just loads of anger, disappointments and frustrations! Of course I also became worried. Firstly, for mum because I did not know whether her condition is serious and life-threatening. Secondly, for grandma because she called me in the evening to say that she wanted to go Yishun to buy dinner which to me was weird. She also told me she felt a little giddy. As I had to handle mum's health matters, I messaged one of my cousins to keep a look-out for grandma that she does not do stupid stuff. Lastly, I also got worried for dad. When my sister dropped us off from the hospital, dad suddenly made a few comments which were totally incoherent. Then he regained his composure and remarked that those comments were weird.

I shared with my pastor-in-charge and another dear brother-in-Christ that I am tired from having to take care of three old folks at home. I am not complaining - just that it is taking a toll on me physically, emotionally and mentally. Spiritually I am a little affected as I was questioning God why so many things must happen at the same time. No answers yet.

Anyway, I shall seek God again as to what He wants me to learn out of all these struggles. I sure hope I will be a stronger person after that. I also submitted my anger, disappointments, frustrations, fears, anxieties and tiredness to God.

I am very sleepy. I cannot go on writing anymore.

A big thank-you to those of you who have prayed for mum and my family. I still covet your prayers.

Good night, all. God is still good and His love still endures forever!

No comments: