Sunday, May 10, 2009

Press On!

Though today is Mother's Day, it did not feel like one because mum is in hospital. Grandma was also in no mood to celebrate. Anyway, after church I went with my sister to visit mum. We brought along carrot cake and also a stalk of sunflower to cheer mum up a little. She liked the cake though she could only take half a slice. It made her day, I guess, because she said she is sick of the yucky food that the hospital is serving - basically porridge, minced vegetables and meat.

We prayed with mum and just before we left, I gave mum a peck on her forehead - one that I have not given for a real long time. I hope that will bring a little sunshine into her life.

I am glad I attended the 11.15am service. I was actually hesitating as I did not want to go to the hospital too late and miss the window of the visiting hours. Anyway, I decided to just attend.

I found it hard to mouth the words of the praise songs being sung and when the worship leader asked the congregation to pray for the mothers present in the Worship Hall, I walked out for a moment to pray for mum somewhere else.

The sermon hit hard when the Assistant Pastor shared about the need for all Christians to press on in all they do regardless of the situation they are in. As much as I agreed with his exhortation, I also cannot deny that it can be quite tough at times when one is in a situation like mine. As I reflected on the message, one key point for an individual to be able to press on is the need for him to let go. At least the burdens he is carrying does not weigh him down.

I will continue to grapple with the above thoughts and allow God to work in my life.

Mum seems more alert today. Dad and grandma are also well. Praise God. I am praying as physio-therapy sessions commence again tomorrow that God will give mum the strength to persevere no matter how tough the going may be.

Anyway, being with friends in the evening for dinner also help to refresh me. Praise God for the time spent fellowshipping over dinner.

Time to sleep soon.

I do not know how this new week is going to be but I shall try to look forward to the challenges ahead. May God be my strength and motivator as I venture through each day.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained." Philippians 3:12-16

No comments: