Monday, May 25, 2009

Living As God's Child

It is almost a month since mum suffered a stroke. As I look back over the weeks, which have been traumatic for every one at home, I asked myself whether I have acted in faith with regard to how I dealt with the situation so far. All I can say is this - I could have done better. One comfort I have over this reflection is that God has always been in charge regardless of how I reacted badly to certain circumstances.

Yesterday's sermon by the Senior Pastor challenged me to deal with difficult matters differently and to always affirm when I am in contact with people (be in at home, in church, at work, or even in the streets).

After I have heard the message delivered, I prayed and asked God to help me do one thing - to give me the courage to act differently when I deal with the current situation at home. I want to carry myself in such a way where my actions (be it in word or deed) will always channel my family's eyes on God in everything we do.

Yes, my mum is still struggling to walk properly, her bowel movement is still a problem, her face is a bit droopy - no matter what I will struggle with her by praying and also reading God's Word with her.

Yes, my grandma has been badly affected by mum's physical condition; her memory is failing her; she can be a pain at times when she keeps calling me on the phone - no matter what I will affirm her by showing my love towards her, holding her hands when she feels alone; giving her my time even when I sometimes do not feel like doing so (due to the many things I have to handle); and praying with her.

Yes, my dad has been exhausted from travelling to and from the hospital; he sometimes loses his temper and can be unreasonable at times; sometimes it is just so difficult to penetrate through his inner being - no matter what I will continue to be patient with him; to show my love and concern for him; and to be by his side even though he may not want to talk.

Yes, my brother has been affected too; sometimes he distants himself away from the family - no matter what I will continue to be a brother to him by opening myself up to him first; to pray for him especially his salvation; and to let him know that we can pull through this time of trial together.

Well, it is always easy to write what I hope to do but when put into practice, it is another story altogether. I pray I will keep persevering till I am able to do what is right and pleasing in God's sight.

Surely God has allowed mum's stroke to happen for a reason - perhaps to strengthen the faith of my parents, grandma and I; to show my brother that God heals; to bring the family closer as a unit. If that is really the purpose, then surely I will work towards it.

Anyway, I still have not recovered fully from two days of wedding coordination. Praise God though that all went well - both at the church service and also the banquet. I am so happy that the couple enjoyed themselves and pleased with my service. Glory to God! Well, it is always good to see two individuals joined as one before the witnesses of God, their family members and friends.

I guess I shall end here. Time for me to get some work done in the library before I head home.

Have a blessed week ahead!

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:19-27

No comments: