Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Two New Friends And One New Toy

Singapore's Black Knights (Canon EOS 10D)

Singapore's Black Knights (Canon EOS 10D)


The Airbus A380 (Canon EOS 10D)


Australia's Roulettes (Canon EOS 10D)


Singapore Skyline (Canon EOS 5D) - The Lady on the Right is Pat


The Singapore Skyline (Canon EOS 5D)

The Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall (Canon EOS 5D)

I spent my lunch-time trying out my new Canon Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) Electro Optical System (EOS) 5D camera. I reserved it almost a month ago but stocks only came this morning. I am thankful to the shop which ordered the equipment - though only one piece arrived, they set it aside for me.

It is amazing how everything fell into place when I was considering buying a new camera as the current one I have is old and cranky. It had basically reached the maximum limit of shutter count due to excessive usage. In other words, the curtain in the camera where light is allowed in when a shot is taken has broken down due to wear and tear. I have since replaced the shutter.

The shop assistant who attended to me is a camp-mate from an army unit I was attached to when I was doing my National Service 15 years ago. It was he who helped expedite the order and he also gave me a very good discount.

I was actually planning to buy a set overseas as it is apparently cheaper but in the end, I decided against it as there is no warranty for cameras bought outside of the country. I was also toying with the idea of getting a second-hand set but there was no peace due to the fear of how the previous owner might have handled the camera.

I do not wish to spiritualise this but I actually prayed and asked the Lord to provide me an avenue and answered He did!

I am very pleased with the purchase and I hope I will be able to use this equipment purposefully. Thanks be to God!

Oh yah, I had two interesting encounters with two tourists and both had to do with photography. Coincidentally both individuals were from the United Kingdom (UK).

When I was at the Singapore Air Show last Tuesday, I met this friendly gentleman by the name of Norman. He was with his wife. They were standing next to me when we were viewing the aerial displays. We started talking about aircrafts and also his experience in World War Two. He was also telling me about his son who has been working in Singapore for the past 14 years. It is amazing how we could discuss so many topics though we hardly knew each other. I also shared with him about my stint in the UK when I was an undergraduate and the few war museums I visited.

Anyway, before we went on our separate ways, we exchanged addresses and contact numbers. Norman comes to this island-nation annually - we planned to meet up in his next visit. I am looking forward to it and it is my prayer I will get to know him and his wife better.

This afternoon when I was along the Singapore River taking a few shots of the skyline, I met this lady - her name is Pat. She saw me with my camera equipment and asked whether I am a professional photographer. I told her it was more a hobby and from there we started talking about photography. We also discussed about her visit to this little red dot on the map. She was here three weeks ago before going to Australia and Thailand. She decided to come back for three more days during her transit as she enjoyed the food and the people.

Since she mentioned food, I introduced a few places for her to try the local cuisines. I hope she will enjoy her last day of stay here. I was tempted to bring her around this evening but decided not to as I felt it was inappropriate.

Well, praise the Lord for the opportunities to meet new people. I went back to work when I was done experimenting with my new camera. I am still feeling a little unwell - I have been feeling this way since last night but much better. Head is a little heavy and throat sore.

I slept quite early yesterday and I shall do it again tonight.

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:5-6

No comments: