Saturday, February 16, 2008

God Knows And God Provides Accordingly

What is the hardest thing for a person to do when he or she is going through a trying period? I guess the word is "thanksgiving". Though it sounds absurd for one to be thankful in times of trouble, the Bible actually challenged the readers to do that.

It is against logic to give thanks because the natural thing for one to react in a trial is that of anger, frustration, disappointment, hurt, self-pity, etc. Yes, one may argue that it is only human to feel that way but it is precisely that fact of God knowing we are humans that He wants us to be thankful and surrender all our cares to Him.

If we take matters in our own hands, then in the course of it, we will experience more of those negative reactions. But if we place our anxieties and burdens before His throne of grace, then we are basically telling Him, "Lord, let Thy will be done" - an assurance that He has our best interest at heart and that He will not fail us. When we see His Lordship even in our trials and struggles, then our hearts will be filled with thanksgiving - knowing that once we have pulled through them with God's intervention, our faith and character will be strengthened and developed respectively.

He does not wish for us to deal with our worldly cares using our limited wisdom and ability. Instead He wants to go alongside us and help us deal with our struggles - provided that we allow Him to.

I am writing this because I got to know of a sister-in-Christ from another church whose parents are not well physically. In my encouragement to her, I shared Philippians 4:6-7 with her.

I held this passage close to my heart throughout the whole day: in the morning, I used it to surrender my worries to God when I needed to present the proposed Revised Missions Policy to the Local Church Executive Committee (LCEC). It has not been approved yet but I left the meeting feeling joyful. Though I have to relook one section of the Policy, I was thankful that it is only one section that I need to work on.

Prior to the meeting, I spent some time praying with the Pastoral Representative to Missions for the LCEC meeting and it was a humbling experience. I realised all these while when I was feeling troubled over the presentation of the Policy is due to one word - "Pride." I basically did not want to lose face should people query about the contents and I also wanted to gain the acceptance of man. The time of prayer was a moment of rebuke and it was brought to my attention that the Policy is not about me but God. Even if the Policy was approved at the meeting, it is not to my glory but His. This realisation took the whole burden off me and I praise God that I was able to leave the meeting room with thanksgiving in my heart. Yes, there is more work ahead; yes, I need to present the Policy again to the LCEC after the amendments have been made but what is the big deal? God will see me through this. That is a great comfort, I must say. :)

I have to leave the meeting early as I have to coordinate a wedding for two friends. Praise the Lord all went well though I was a bit late at the beginning. All went according to plan though in my heart, there was this fear of things going wrong. I was also pre-empting what I should do if it did. Anyway, the passage again brought comfort - I prayed as I went along dealing with the various matters. It is over and another couple happily married.

I am very tired now and it is time I stop here.

All thanks and glory be to God!!!

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: