Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How Is Your Light?

I just got home from the accountability group meeting with my younger brothers-in-Christ. We have not met for a month and it was great to have caught up with them. In the course of our meeting, I was moved to ask every one (including myself), "How is your light?" I wanted to know whether we are still shining for God everywhere we go.

I have been evaluating this myself because I know sometimes I have not been shining my light - basically the way I carry myself in word, thought and deed. It is important for me to be conscious of these three areas because like it or not, whatever I say, think and do will either build or stumble another.

I wanted the accountability group to help each other fan the flame in us so that we will constantly be shining for God. This is especially important since we are all leaders in the church and mentors to our younger siblings-in-Christ. Putting this on a wider perspective, we are also God's ambassadors to this world.

Lately I have observed one bad practice that I am equally guilty of and that is this word, 'bitching'. I could have used the word "gossiping" but I shall not. I think it is important that we put a stop to this as it shows and speaks a lot about our arrogance and ignorance.

Yes, sometimes we are unhappy with some friends, colleagues, teachers, classmates, siblings, leaders, parents, etc. We may have felt betrayed or injustified or hurt or disappointed or angered by these persons but it should just stay as that and not spoken to others unless there is an intention to find a solution.

If we start to bitch to others, we are then no different from those whom we have negative impression of. In fact people will see our arrogance because by putting someone down behind his or her back shows that we are simply proud, ungracious, unforgiving and not trustworthy. It also shows our ignorance because by talking about the faults of others for the sake of just talking, people can see our own faults and that does not reflect well on us.

This is just one example of whether as Christians, we are shining for God or not in this world we live in. Instead of gossiping about others, why not pray for them? Why not go to that person and seek reconciliation? Doing all these do not speak about us being a coward; instead it shows our bravery and maturity.

Food for thought!

It has been an easy-going day for me - not too busy in office and being able to complete what I have set out to do. Thanks be to God.

Oh yah, I am enjoying my new pet - the parakeet. We are still thinking of a name for it. Dad simply named it "Birdie"; mum called it "Baby"; my brother "Bird Bird" and grandma "cheep cheep". How original, yah? Haha.

Well, I shall go check out the web soon to see how one may check the gender of a bird and from there decide a name for it. I hope it is not too difficult to ascertain the gender aspect. :)

Time to go. Very tired now as I did not have much sleep this morning - I was up watching a Champions League match between my favourite football team (Liverpool!) and Inter-Milan. 2 - 0! Way to go, Reds!

Okie, good night, everyone!

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 7:1-5

“He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.” Proverbs 17:9

No comments: