Monday, February 11, 2008

Prayer Changes Perspectives

Today is a day of multi-tasking! As predicted, workload reached critical level. When I saw the number of things in my In-Tray, I almost died. There were post-its everywhere on my desk. On top of that, I had to deal with the Missions Policy that the Committee and I have been looking into for the past three months. I also needed to write a script for the Wedding Service that I will be leading on 23 February.

Well, just picture three different sets of documents on my table and Andy Chew dealing with them almost all at one go. Haha.

I want to thank God for one of the Christian disciplines which I have been taught all these years - "Prayer"! When I stepped into the office and saw what I described above... yes, my heartbeat began to accelerate and the anxiety button activated. At that moment, I got the prompting, which I know is by to Holy Spirit, to pray. On my knees I went (not literally though) and told the Lord to pull me through the day. As I look back now, I am thankful I survived through it. Guess what? I completed most of the three major stuff that I needed to handle.

Prayer allows me to look at things in perspective and having the assurance that God has heard my prayers and is in the process of helping me, that was a relief. I could deal with even the most difficult task and still do it with a smile, rather than with a long face.

My account may have been different if I had decided to deal with the multi-tasking in my own strength.

Oh yah, I was at a rehearsal just now for the Wedding Service that I am leading in two weeks' time. It was fun though I was tired. I had to lead in the singing of a Chinese song. Haha. It will be a feat for me since the Chinese language is not really my mother-tongue. What I am concerned about is the way I pronounce certain of the words - I hope they sound right on the day itself. Otherwise the bride will probably throw her high-heel shoes at me. Haha.

Anyway, time to go!

"The LORD is my light and my salvation — whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life — of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock." Psalm 27:1-5

No comments: