Sunday, February 24, 2008

Speak Affirmation; Do Not Slander

It has been a hectic weekend but at the same time joyous and fun. Yesterday I was involved in the wedding of two dear siblings-in-Christ. One of them I knew her since we were in secondary school.

I led in the wedding service in the morning which was a really meaningful time spent together worshipping the Lord in singing of psalms, hymns and spiritual songs; listening to His Word during the exhortation and of course witnessing the couple exchanging their vows before God. I had to also lead in the singing of a Chinese song which initially I had a lot of apprehension due to the lack of proficiency in the language. Well, I made a mistake pronouncing a word. I thought I got away with it but the bride heard it. *teeth chattering* :)

In the evening I had to coordinate the banquet. Well, it commenced punctually as planned and ended earlier than some weddings that I have coordinated or attended. I had to attend to some last-minute inclusion of guests and also changes in the seating arrangements but thanks be to God all went well in the end.

The groom gave the bride a surprise. You see, the bride has always wanted a military wedding but because the groom has recently left the army, it was not appropriate to hold it in that setting. The interesting part came when the groom's former fellow officers suggested doing it anyway and of course, the bride's desire was met.

10 smartly-dressed officers in their ceremonial outfits received the couple when they made their first entry. It was Operation Hush Hush and praise the Lord, it was kept a secret till yesterday.

I only reached home at around 1:45am. A dear brother-in-Christ gave me a lift home. We left the hotel so late because a few of us were in the Bridal Suite with the couple talking and laughing about the day's events.

Well, all thanks and praise and glory to our God Almighty for having made yesterday a memorable one!

Oh yah, during the whole course of the banquet, I had a few chances talking to the banquet manager who was one of the most accommodating staff I have ever worked with. Though we did not know each other at all, I am happy that I got to know this individual better. He shared with me his plans for the future pertaining to his work. In our last conversation, I wished him all the best. I also whispered a prayer for the kind gentleman that God will provide and answer the desires of his heart.

I got to know another senior staff who was also very accommodating. She is so motherly - always asking whether I actually had some food to eat.

It is people like the above two individuals who made my day and job a lot more fun to work in.

This morning's sermon was a confirmation of a message I got from the Lord recently on the need to be careful not to speak ill of another person and also not to judge another. I like the way the assistant pastor ended his message - he asked the congregation a question, " So what now?"

I have heard the above message twice in a span of one week - what am I going to do about it? I guess I will have to act upon it and with the Lord's help, I pray He will help me to always affirm and commend rather than bitch, gossip or judge.

I need to sleep soon. I only had 4 hours of sleep since I got home from the hotel.

Good night, everyone and have a blessed week ahead!

"What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?" James 4:1-12

No comments: